Easy and delicious these Caprese Skewers are the perfect appetizer for your next party!
A few weeks ago a dear friend left all of us in Orange County to start a fabulous adventure in Zambia for The Peace Corps! We had a fantastic party to send her away with lots of great friends and food.
I made some desserts and also made these scrumptious Caprese skewers. They are SOO easy and SOO delicious! A must make for any party you are throwing.
Let's get to making the Caprese skewers.
What are the ingredients for Caprese Skewers?
This recipe could not be any easier. The beauty of it is you'll need equal parts of everything so you just scale up as your party grows!
- Toothpicks. Just regular size toothpicks are needed.
- Grape/ Cherry Tomatoes. You want the mini tomatoes so there are not juices running out of the tomato on the toothpicks. At Trader Joes I find the small San Marzano style tomatoes- those are my favorite.
- Fresh Basil. You can use small leaves or tear large ones in half or thirds.
- Mini Mozzarella Balls. You can use plain mini mozzarella balls but I like the marinated ones, again from Trader Joes.
- Balsamic Glaze. Store-bought or homemade.
- Salt & Pepper. Just a sprinkling finishes them off!
How do you make Caprese Skewers?
First, you'll want to soak the toothpicks in a bowl of lukewarm water for 30 minutes to one hour. This helps prevent the toothpicks from splitting.
During this time I like to wash my tomatoes and basil then dry them completely. Place each ingredient into their own bowl to create an assembly line. This makes assembling them super quick! And a fun thing to do with kids!
When ready to assemble just press one toothpick into one tomato, one fresh basil leaf, and one mozzarella ball. Place on a serving platter.
Once you are finished sprinkle some salt, pepper and balsamic glaze on top.
I love to use Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.
Can you make Caprese skewers ahead of time?
Yes, I often make them a day before the party. Just drizzle the balsamic glaze on right before serving.
More tomato appetizers
You cannot beat this delicious tomato, corn, and cucumber salad it has the perfect crunchy and easy balsamic dressing.
I don't know about you but anything with puff pastry has me weak at the knees, this tomato tart is fabulous.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
Easy and delicious these Tomato Mozzarella Skewers are the perfect appetizer for your next party!
- 30 Toothpicks
- 30 Grape/ Cherry Tomatoes
- 30 Small Leaves of Fresh Basil (tear large ones in half or thirds)
- 30 Mini Mozzarella Balls
- Balsamic Glaze, store-bought or homemade
- Salt & Pepper
- First soak your toothpicks in a bowl of lukewarm water for 30 minutes -1 hour. (This helps prevent the toothpicks from splitting)
- Next just press one toothpick into one grape tomato, one fresh basil leaf, and one mozzarella ball. Place on a serving platter.
- Once you are finished sprinkle some salt and pepper on top and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
You can prepare these one day ahead of time except for the glaze. Drizzle the balsamic glaze just before serving. Keep the skewers covered in plastic wrap in the fridge.
Keywords: Italian appetizer recipe, mozzarella appetizer
This post was originally published March 1, 2012, as of December 26, 2019, the text and photos have been updated.