Learn how to make French Onion Dip. This recipe is easy, make ahead and always a crowd pleaser. Perfect with fresh veggies or chips, you won’t be able to dip just once!
French onion dip is the bomb. Maybe it’s because I have a love affair with sour cream in general, so only natural a dip based on it would be my fave not to mention the onion flavor. A Cheese and Onion bagel is my jam!
Funnily enough, this recipe is not French at all. And I never knew it used to be known as “California Dip.”
While the little packet of onion flavor mixed into sour cream is delicious, I love making things homemade. The love and effort into them is always appreciated and loved so much more. Not to mention- I can control what goes in the ingredient list.
To make this French onion dip extra special I actually added carmelized onions. Basically, because I think caramelized onions are one of the best things on the planet. But also because the texture and flavor really enhance the dip.
What is French onion dip made out of?
This recipe calls for sour cream and mayonnaise, I like a combo but you could use all sour cream. This recipe also calls for caramelized onions, I am all about the most onion flavor as well as this provides another texture. I love contrasting textures.
You also need smoked paprika, Trader Joe’s Onion Salt ( you can sub onion powder and salt for this), dried parsley and Worcestershire sauce.
And then your favorite thick ridge like potato chips/ crisps. And fresh cut veggies for dipping, so you can pretend you’re being healthy, like me.
How do you make onion dip?
Start off by caramelizing your onions. You could do this a day or two before making the dip. The dip, in general, is better a day after making it, lets all the flavors meld together.
Chop one medium onion, into small pieces. Since this is going to be a dip you don’t want long strings of onion.
In a large skillet add 1oz of Butter and 1oz of Olive Oil. I like the flavor of half and half but you could use all 2oz of oil or butter if you want. This is a long process but an easy process. Heat your skillet on low- medium heat, once heated add your chopped onion. Lower down the burner to low and start stirring the onions every so often. This takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Make sure you are mixing your onions every couple of minutes.
Once the onions are caramelized let cool then pour into a container to chill until ready to use.
When ready to prepare the dip in a large bowl combine all the ingredients. Don’t you just love recipes like that? I sure do.
Then whisk together, taste test- you might want a little extra salt or some pepper. Make it your own! Then pour it into a container and chill it in the fridge until ready to use. I prefer to prepare the dip and chop the veggies the day before I plan on serving it. Makes for an easier day of an event as well as the dip is actually better.
Whatever you make this dip for I hope you love it as much as my family and friends do!
Please let me know if you make this recipe for How to Make French Onion Dip be leaving a rating and review below!
- Two Years Ago: Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
- Four Years Ago: Peanut Butter Carmelitas
- Five Years Ago: Berry Sweet Rolls
- Six Years Ago: Biscoff Cupcakes
Learn how to make French Onion Dip. This recipe is easy, make ahead and always a crowd pleaser. Perfect with fresh veggies or chips you won’t be able to dip just once!
- 1 Medium- Large Onion
- 1oz Olive Oil
- 1oz Butter
- Pinch of Sugar and Salt
French Onion Dip
- 10oz Sour Cream
- 5oz Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Trader Joe’s Onion Salt (1/2 Teaspoon of Onion Powder + 1/4 Teaspoon Salt can be substituted)
- 2 Teaspoons Worchesthire Sauce
- Chop one medium onion, into small pieces.
- Heat a large skillet on low- medium heat, add butter and olive oil, once heated add your chopped onion. Lower down the burner to low and start stirring the onions every so often. This takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Make sure you are mixing your onions every couple of minutes.
- Once the onions have caramelized into a deep brown color turn the heat off and let the onions cool completely before using or keep in an airtight container until ready to use.
French Onion Dip
- In a large bowl add all ingredients. Whisk to combine. Let chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to 48 hours. This helps the flavors marry and enhance. Serve chilled with fresh cut vegetables or potato chips.
Keywords: easy french onion dip recipe, best onion dip recipe, how to make french onion dip