These s'mores cookies will send you right back to childhood evenings around the campfire. Graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows are all baked into a delightfully chewy cookie and finished with sea salt.
These s'more cookies mimic the flavors of s'mores but with just a little extra oomph. All of the flavors of a classic s'more (graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows) are folded into cookie dough. The dough is formed into balls and baked to chewy, golden brown perfection and sprinkled with sea salt. Delicious.
Remember those evenings of sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmallows, and turning them into decadent dessert sandwiches with graham crackers and chocolate? These s'mores cookies bring those memories to life (just without the campfire and the smoke). Get ready for a real treat.
Why You'll Love These Easy S'mores Cookies
These quick, easy cookies are full of nostalgic, delicious flavors. They are 100% loveable. Here's why.
- Nostalgic. These cookies perfectly capture all of the flavors enjoyed and memories made during those magical nights around the campfire spent roasting marshmallows to make s'mores. They'll send you on a trip down memory lane.
- Texture. These cookies are wonderfully chewy with just the right amount of crunch from the Graham crackers cooked into them.
- Quick and easy. S'mores cookies require just 10 minutes of active time in the kitchen. It's a simple recipe to throw together with no fancy twists and turns. They are perfect for any skill level.
What You'll Need
Here's a list of ingredients needed to make these sweet, nostalgic s'mores cookies. Check out the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Butter - The butter should be softened to room temperature. It will not cream properly with the sugars if it is too cold or melted.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown sugar
- Egg and Egg Yolk - Be sure that the egg and egg yolk are both at room temperature. They will incorporate more easily with the other ingredients, which will help prevent you from over-mixing.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose/ Plain Flour - Sensitive to gluten? Feel free to use your favorite 1:1 gluten-free flour instead.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Graham Crackers
- Mini Marshmallows - You could chop up standard-sized marshmallows instead.
- Chocolate Chips - I like semi-sweet chocolate chips but feel free to use milk or dark chocolate chips instead. I bet white chocolate chips would be delicious as well.
How to Make S'mores Cookies
How excited are you to make the best s'mores cookies ever? I know I am. Here's a quick overview of how to do it. Don't forget to scroll to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Cream. Beat the butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Add the eggs. Add the whole egg, and mix to combine. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Gently fold the dry ingredients and the graham cracker crumbs into the wet ingredients.
- Add the mix-ins. Stir in the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into 1.5- 2 tablespoon size cookies and decorate with more marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham cracker pieces.
- Chill. Arrange the cookie balls in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking pan and cover them with plastic wrap. Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes-3 days.
- Prepare to bake. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- Bake. Arrange the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes
- Finish and cool. Sprinkle sea salt on top of the cookies and let them cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
How Long Do These Cookies Need To Chill?
It is important to chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (up to 3 days). During this time, the flavors will deepen and the fats in the dough will solidify a bit which will help prevent the cookies from spreading as they bake. This is part of what will help the cookies achieve their wonderful, chewy texture.
Note that, if the cookie dough stays in the refrigerator for over an hour, it's a good idea to let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so before baking.
Tips for the Best S'mores Cookies
These easy s'mores cookies are quite simple to make. That being said there are certainly a few things you can do that will ensure your cookies are top notch. Here they come.
- Room temperature ingredients. If the butter is too cold (or melted), it will not cream properly with the sugar which could leave you with overly dense cookies. When it comes to eggs, they will not mix with the other ingredients as easily if they are cold, which can lead you to over-mix (see my next point).
- Don't over-mix. When mixing the dry ingredients and mix-ins into the wet ingredients, it is important not to over-mix. Mix just until everything is incorporated. No more. Over-mixing can cause the glutens in the flour to over-develop, ending you with tough, dense cookies.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically as you add ingredients and mix them in. This will ensure that all of the ingredients make it into the dough and are incorporated thoroughly.
- Don't skip the chill. It is essential to the texture of these cookies that you chill them before baking. See the section above titled "How Long Do These Cookies Need To Chill?" to learn more about why this is so important.
How to Store
Allow the cookies to cool to room temperature before sealing them in an airtight container. Store them at room temperature for up to 5 days. Do not refrigerate the cookies. The cold temperatures will cause them to dry out.
Can You I Freeze These?
You can! Allow them to cool completely before sealing them in an airtight container. Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When your are ready to enjoy, allow the cookies to thaw at room temperature.
You can also freeze the cookie dough and bake it at a later date. Form the dough into balls and arrange them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Cover the pan with saran wrap and pop it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Once the dough balls have firmed up, seal them in a Ziplock bag, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the dough to thaw a bit before baking at 350 degrees F for 9-11 minutes.
More Cookie Recipes
Cookie lovers, this way! I have a plethora of recipes for you. I love these s'mores cookies but here are some of my other favorites.
- Amaretti Cookies
- Brittle Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Orange Crinkle Cookies
- Lemon Curd Cookies
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- 4oz (½ Cup) Butter, softened to room temperature
- 66 Grams (⅓ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 Grams (½ Cup) Brown sugar
- 1 Large Egg + 1 Large Egg Yolk, both at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 188 Grams (1 ½ Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cornstarch
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Graham Cracker Sheets Finely Crushed (⅔ Cup of Crumbs)
- 58 Grams (1 Cup) Mini Marshmallows
- 85 Grams (½ Cup) Chocolate Chips
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a handheld mixer combine butter and sugars. Mix on medium for around 3 minutes, until light and fluffy, make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and the bottom of the bowl so everything combines, the color of the mixture will lighten as time goes on mixing.
- Add in the whole egg and mix until combined. Then stir in the additional egg yolk and vanilla, making sure to mix until fully combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch. Gently fold in dry ingredients and graham cracker crumbs until just combined, then stir in the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Do not overstir!
- I use a medium cookie dough scoop to scoop a heaping 1.5- 2 tablespoon size cookies. Add extra marshmallows, chocolate, and graham cracker pieces to decorate cookies. Place cookie balls on a parchment-lined pan covered with plastic wrap or in an air-tight container. Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes or up to 3 days. If you chill the cookie dough for longer than 1 hour let the dough sit out on the counter for 20 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and if using, line your baking sheet with a silpat liner. Place the cookie dough balls two inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Sprinkle sea salt on top. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: s'mores cookies, best s'mores cookies, easy s'mores cookies