This Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe is a quick and easy dinner that is full of flavor. Step-by-step photos help you make this tasty dinner recipe.
I am always looking for dinner in 30 minutes during the week. I love this recipe because my whole family loves them.
Fairly healthy but full of flavor, chicken lettuce wraps are in our dinner rotation.
This is also a fun appetizer for a party, I don't know anyone who doesn't love these tasty lettuce cups. Another appetizer we all adore is this Tomato Caprese Skewers Recipe.
If you're looking for another easy weeknight dinner you've gotta try my friend's Soy Sauce Eggs Recipe.
Let's get to the recipe
For this easy dinner you will need:
- Oil. I like to use olive or avocado oil, you only need a little bit to help cook the chicken.
- Ground Chicken. Ground chicken breast will be drier than using ground chicken thighs. You could use ground turkey or ground pork if you wanted.
- Onion. You'll just need one small one finely diced or use half a larger onion.
- Garlic. I like to use two cloves minced, I usually buy a jar of pre-minced garlic to make it easier.
- Red Pepper. You don't always see red pepper in a chicken lettuce cup recipe but I like the color, texture, and ease of sneaking in another veggie.
- Water Chestnuts. Make sure to drain them and dice.
- Soy Sauce. I like to use low sodium. I am sure you could use coconut aminos but I never have.
- Hoisin Sauce. This sauce helps bring all the classic flavor.
- Rice Vinegar. Not to be confused with white vinegar, rice vinegar has a more delicate and sweet flavor.
- Freshly Grated Ginger. I like to buy the grated frozen ginger from Trader Joe's, they come in frozen cubes so you can just whack it in.
- Sriracha. I like to add a little heat to my cups. You don't have to add this.
- Green Onions. I stir in some green onions and leave extra for topping.
- Peanuts. I love the crunch and flavor the peanuts add, but if peanuts are not your cup of tea feel free to leave them out, they are just a topping.
- Lettuce. You'll need something to hold the chicken mixture. My favorite is butter lettuce but romaine works too!
I find with the flavorful sauce I usually don't season with salt and pepper but you can if you'd like!
We'll start with browning the ground meat, I prefer chicken but you can use ground chicken, turkey, or pork, keep in mind ground chicken and turkey needs to reach 165F/ 74C but ground pork and beef needs to be cooked to 160F/ 71C. I use my internal thermometer from Thermoworks, a Thermapen MK4 to check I reach the temperature.
Over medium heat in a large skillet add the oil to warm then add the chicken and cook until just browned.
Add the finely diced onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, just until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
Add the chopped red pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, making sure to stir everything together a few times.
Whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and sriracha, then set aside.
Add the sauce and chopped water chestnuts to the chicken mixture and let cook together for 5 minutes or so, stirring so everything is evenly coated in the sauce.
At this point your meat should be fully cooked but I like to just double check the ground chicken is at least 165F. Add half of the green onions on top.
Serve a small-medium scoop inside lettuce leaves and sprinkle with remaining onions and crushed peanuts, if desired.
You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days, make sure to keep lettuce separate. This is a great lunch idea!!
Can you double
You can totally double the recipe to serve more or meal prep for the week.
I hope you love this Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe as much as we do.
More chicken recipes
I love to prep my Salsa Chicken on a Sunday afternoon in the crockpot and use it for salads, bowls, and wraps during the week.
Curried chicken salad sandwiches are full of flavor and surprisingly a favorite people request all the time!
Another appetizer/ dinner recipe we love in our house are these chicken parm meatballs!! Soooo good!!
My friend Ari makes the Best Fried Chicken and Waffles such a fun meal!!!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
This Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe is a quick and easy dinner that is full of flavor.
- 1 Tablespoons Olive or Avocado Oil
- 1lb Ground Chicken
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, diced
- 8oz Water Chestnuts, drained and diced
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 4oz (½ Cup) Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Grated Ginger
- 1 Tablespoons Sriracha, optional
- 2-3 Green Onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Peanuts
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the oil to warm, add the chicken and cook until just browned. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Add the red pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, making sure to stir everything together.
- Mix together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and sriracha, then set aside.
- Add the sauce and water chestnuts to the chicken mixture and let cook together for 5 minutes or so, stirring so everything is evenly coated in the sauce. Add half of the green onions.
- Serve a small-medium scoop inside each butter lettuce cup and sprinkle with remaining onions and crushed peanuts. Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days, keep lettuce separate.
Keywords: easy chicken lettuce cups, how to make chicken lettuce wraps