This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe is delicious and moist banana bread filled with a generous serving of chocolate chunks to make sure you have chocolate in every bite. This quick bread recipe is the perfect afterschool snack, lunchtime treat, or toasted with butter for a naughty breakfast!
If you've spent anytime browsing Confessions of Baking Queen then you know I love banana bread. I have numerous recipes for this delicious quick bread. I find banana bread is one of those things you can have for breakfast, snack, or dessert, so the loaves always disappear at my house!
Let's get to the recipe.
We don't need too many ingredients for this recipe.
- Butter. You can use unsalted or salted but we will use melted butter. IF using salted you may want to omit the salt in the recipe.
- Sugar. I like to use a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar. You can use light or dark brown sugar. The brown sugar provides a little. more moisture and flavor to the recipe.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. This little bit provides so much delicious flavor, don't forget it!
- Large Eggs. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature. To do this quickly take the whole egg and place it in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes before cracking them to use.
- Flour. Just good old all-purpose flour or plain flour.
- Baking Soda. This chemical leavening agent gives rise and lifts our banana bread.
- Salt. Almost all baked goods benefit from a bit of salt to help balance everything.
- Greek yogurt. I like to use yogurt but you can also use sour cream. This should also be at room temperature. To do this quickly you can microwave for 15-25 seconds to warm it.
- Bananas. Make sure you use brown very ripe bananas. You'll need roughly 3 medium bananas around 12oz total.
- Chocolate. You can use chocolate chips, chocolate bars cut up, or chocolate chunks.
Ripening bananas quickly
Make sure you start off with ripe, brown, spotty bananas. If you don't have ripe bananas then turn your oven on to 350F/180C and place your bananas skin on, on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, make sure to let them cool completely before using them in the recipe.
It's easy breezy. That's why I often make banana bread, quick bread is the best. Banana Nut Granola is also a fave of mine.
Grab a 9X5 loaf pan and grease it heavily all up against the sides. Then turn your oven on to 350F/180C.
In a large bowl combine your butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar.
Once fully incorporated add your vanilla extract and eggs. Always make sure your eggs are at room temperature, so they can combine with the rest of the ingredients better.
I add my bananas and mash them right in the bowl.
Then fold in the sour cream.
In a smaller bowl combine your flour, baking soda, and salt then add to the wet ingredients.
Gently fold in your dry ingredients into the wet then add the mashed bananas and Greek yogurt and chocolate chunks, folding it all together gently. You do not want to overmix the banana bread.
Over-mixing quick bread will create a tougher texture, we want a soft banana bread so be gentle!
If you are feeling fancy sprinkle some extra brown sugar on top of the banana bread, my mom always did this growing up so I usually do too. It gives you a nice crunchy sweet top.
Bake the banana bread for roughly 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or just a couple of moist crumbs. Everyone's oven is different so base it off of the toothpick test. The internal temperature of banana bread should be around 200F/94C. I like to use my Thermapen MK4 to check.
Let the banana bread cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before inverting it onto the rack. If you invert it too quickly you will end up with a broken loaf.
For another type of chocolate and banana quick bread try my recipe for chocolate swirl banana bread.
Storing chocolate chip banana bread
I live in Southern California so we have pretty warm weather almost all year round. To preserve my baked goods I often keep them in the fridge. Banana bread can definitely be left in an airtight container on the counter, which sometimes I do in colder times. Whatever you do just make sure it is covered up or in an airtight container.
Quick-breads are a great candidate for freezing. Once the loaf has completely cooled wrap it in plastic wrap/ cling film twice, tightly. Then wrap it in foil or place it in a freezer safe bag.
To thaw a loaf of frozen banana bread let it sit in the fridge overnight or place on the counter for a few hours.
You can also freeze slices of banana bread by following the same method of wrapping in plastic wrap twice and then storing it in a freezer-safe bag.
To thaw slices of banana bread place them on the counter at room temperature for 30-60 minutes depending on the sizes of the slices.
Fancy some more banana bread
- Salted Caramel Banana Bread
- Peaches & Cream Banana Bread
- Oat Flour Banana Bread
- Pineapple Banana Bread
- Bananas Foster Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
With the brown sugar crunch on top, moist banana bread from the Greek yogurt and the chocolate chunks our family think this is the best chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
- Four Years Ago: Golden Oreo Cake Batter Ice Cream Pie
- Five Years Ago: Biscoff Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 4oz (½ cup/ 1 stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 66 grams ( ⅓ cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 grams (½ cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 250 grams (2 cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 5oz (Heaping ½ Cup) Greek yogurt or Sour Cream
- 3 Brown Bananas, very ripe around 12oz
- 170 grams (1 Cup) Chocolate Chunks/Chips
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- Melt butter in the microwave or over the stove. In a large bowl combine melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix until just combined. Add banans and mash right in the bowl of the wet ingredients then fold in the sour cream.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks but do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before inverting on to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Quick-breads are a great candidate for freezing. Once the loaf has completely cooled wrap it in plastic wrap/ cling film twice, tightly. Then wrap it in foil or place it in a freezer-safe bag. To thaw a loaf of frozen banana bread let it sit in the fridge overnight or place on the counter for a few hours.
You can also freeze slices of banana bread by following the same method of wrapping in plastic wrap twice and then storing it in a freezer-safe bag. To thaw slices of banana bread place them on the counter at room temperature for 30-60 minutes depending on the sizes of the slices.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 65
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread, banana bread with chocolate recipe
This was originally published in June 2018 as of September 2021 the recipe and photos have been updated.