Delicious banana bread is swirled with chocolate for an extra special treat!
If you have been around my site for any length of time you know I love banana bread. We always grew up with this treat. Our mom usually spread some butter on a slice and packed it in our school lunch. Heaven on earth baby.
Then we went to Sydney, Australia a couple of times to visit my cousin, Lucy, and in Oz they serve toasted banana bread with butter everywhere! Basically banana bread is awesome, and everyone loves it. And it's easy to make.
While I do love chocolate and bananas I was missing a chocolate swirled banana bread in my recipe box so I made one. While you could use cocoa powder I sure love using pure melted chocolate. Partially because I get to lick the bowl but mostly because the flavor cannot be beat!
Like all of my other recipes you need two important things. Overripe bananas and Greek yogurt or sour cream. These two create a beautifully tender and moist banana bread.
For another chocolatey quick bread try my Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe.
Let's get to the recipe.
How do you make chocolate swirl banana bread?
Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9"X5" loaf pan. Set aside.
Melt chocolate* pieces and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl mix together the melted butter and sugars. Once combined whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Add the mashed bananas and Greek yogurt/ sour cream, whisking to combine.
In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing to just combine. You don't want to over mix the dry ingredients as it will activate the gluten in the flour more creating a tougher texture.
Scoop 8oz (1 Cup) of the batter into a clean bowl and gently fold in the melted chocolate. If you look closely at the photo you can see there are
How do you create a chocolate swirl?
Place one-third of the plain banana bread batter into the prepared loaf
Sprinkle chopped chocolate on top. This step is totally optional but seriously who doesn't want more chocolate?! I never say no!
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing. Store in an air-tight container, on the counter or in the fridge if you are in a warm climate.
The banana bread will stay fresh for about 3-4 days although it doesn't usually last that long at my house!
While this banana bread is delicious on its own I always love toasting a slice and adding a bit of buttah, Lurpak or Kerry Gold are my favorites- you can get both at Whole Foods.
Fancy more banana bread?
Make sure to join our Newsletter and follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread
Delicious chocolate swirl banana bread. Made with melted chocolate this banana bread is not only gorgeous to look at, your belly will love it too!
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 Slices 1x
- 4oz (½ heaping cup) Chocolate pieces or chips
- 4oz (½ cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 150 grams (¾ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 50 grams (¼ Cup) Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 250 grams (2 Cups) All-purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 12oz (3 Medium) Bananas, smashed
- 6oz (¾ Cup) Greek yogurt or Sour Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9"X5" loaf pan. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate* pieces and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix together the melted butter and sugars. Once combined whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add the mashed bananas and Greek yogurt/ sour cream, whisking to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing to just combine. Scoop 8oz (1 Cup) of the batter into a clean bowl and gently fold in the melted chocolate.
- Place one-third of the plain banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Then scoop one-third of the chocolate banana bread batter into three spoonfuls on top of the plain batter. Use a butter knife to swirl the chocolate. Repeat two more times with remaining batter. Sprinkle chopped chocolate on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing. Store in an air-tight container, on the counter or in the fridge if you are in a warm climate.
- To melt the chocolate you can either- make a bain marie- place a small pot with about an inch of water in it over low-medium heat and place a heatproof bowl with the chopped chocolate on top of the pot so it fits snug – making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Mix until melted. Or you can also microwave the chocolate at 50% power for 15-second increments until it is melted, mixing in between.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate marble banana bread, chocolate banana bread, chocolate swirl banana bread
This was a huge hit with everyone and I will definitely make it again and again!!!
Elizabeth Waterson says
Yay that is great news Jennifer, thank you so much for coming back to review the recipe, it really helps me out!! Take care. XX Liz
Anne Gross says
Wow, this is a super recipe! My daughter was encouraging me to try something new, other than my old stand-by banana bread from Betty Crocker -- one that I've been making for more than two decades! I followed the recipe exactly, and it really kicked the basic banana bread up 10 notches. The swirl of chocolate was wonderful. Thank you!
Elizabeth Waterson says
Hi Anne, thank you so much for coming back to review the recipe, I really appreciate it!! It makes my day to hear that you jumped out of your banana bread comfort zone and loved it!! Take care. XX Liz
Search for the perfect banana bread just ended- thanks for this winner! Long live the queen!!!!
Elizabeth Waterson says
Thank you so much for the lovely review Sarah, so pleased you enjoyed the recipe!! Take care XX Liz