Easy and quick these banana chocolate chip muffins will be your new favorite! Moist and delicious this simple recipe is the perfect homemade treat, filled with chocolate chunks for a delectable breakfast. Enjoy them all or freeze some muffins for later!
For me breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so throwing in some sort of chocolate always sets me up for a good day.
Another breakfast food I often have is a banana, whether it's dipped in almond butter, blended into my protein shake, or in the form of banana bread.
So creating a handheld banana muffin filled with chocolate, well it was obviously needed in my life.
These muffins are perfect, sooo good- soft, moist, and full of flavor. You definitely do not need to do this but I love schmearing my muffin with some salted butter, because hello warm muffin with melty butter is freaking fantastic!!
Let's get to the recipe.
What are the ingredients for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Melted Butter and Vegetable Oil- I love using butter for the gorgeous flavor it provides, but I love to add a splash of oil because it helps retain a load of moisture in the muffin. I find that the flavor of a recipe with all oil is not as delicious as the flavor butter provides.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Bananas- the browner the better
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Chocolate Chips or Chunks- I prefer to use chocolate chunks to get the melty chocolate factor but feel free to use chips! Or leave them out- whatever floats your boat!
How do you make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Start by preheating your oven to 400F/205C and heavily grease a muffin tin.
In a large bowl combine the butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Mix until all ingredients are fully combined. Whisk in the two eggs and vanilla extract.
Mix in the mashed bananas and sour cream or Greek yogurt.
In a bowl whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour.
Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, gently fold together, after a couple of mixes add in the chocolate chunks then mix two more times, you will still have flour streaks and that is good.
Over mixing the batter creates a tougher muffin. When in doubt mix less!
I like to use a large cookie scoop to fill the muffin tins full. Bake them for 5 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350F/180C and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes, or until the muffins bounce back when you touch the top or a toothpick inserted comes out with no wet crumbs.
Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before inverting.
Can you make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins ahead of time?
Totally. These muffins are great and last at room temperature up to 4 days. You can also freeze the muffins for up to three months.
To freeze the muffins: Let them cool completely then place them in a freezer friendly Ziploc bag or wrap tightly in plastic wrap/ cling film. Let them freeze in a single layer then after a few hours feel free to shuffle the bag around so they take up less space or leave them in a single layer!
To thaw a frozen muffin: Let it sit at room temperature for an hour or so, place them in the fridge overnight, or microwave for 30 seconds when you want one!
Craving more chocolate? Check out these recipes:
Please let me know if you make this Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe by leaving a rating and review below!Print
- 4oz (½ Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1oz (2 Tablespoons) Vegetable Oil
- 50 grams (¼ Cup) Brown Sugar
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 3 Large Ripe Bananas, smashed (12-13oz)
- 4oz (½ Cup) Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 218 grams (1 ¾ Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 400F/205C and grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl add the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars, mixing until fully combined. Whisk in the two eggs and vanilla extract. Mix in the mashed bananas and sour cream.
- In a bowl whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour. Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, gently fold together, after a couple of mixes add in the chocolate chunks then mix two more times, you will still have flour streaks and that is good. Overmixing creates a tougher muffin.
- Fill muffin tins full. Bake for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350F/180C and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes, or until the muffins bounce back when you touch the top or a toothpick inserted comes out with no wet crumbs. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Freeze for up to three months and then microwave for 30 seconds when you want one!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chip banana muffins, banana muffins, muffin recipe