Oat Flour Banana Bread is made with Gluten-Free oats, butter, and Greek yogurt, you will love this Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe.
What the heck, 5 years ago. Honestly, where does the time go? I truly had no idea an Oat Flour Banana Bread recipe would turn out to be one of my most visited pages.
Five years ago I took a job as a General Manager for two restaurants and now here we are 5 years later and I have recently left that job. I can truly say my life/ sanity is so much better for it.
While I did love my coworkers, customers, and friends there, the stress of managing 60 people on your own, two restaurants, marketing, hr, menu costing, changing menu recipes, scheduling, planning and hosting events... the list goes on. You wear many hats in most management roles but that is especially true in restaurants.
Luckily I have my blog, my true passion, to keep me still in the food industry. You may have noticed a new look here. I finally updated my look along with a lot of other behind the scenes things. Thanks to the Food Blogger Pro community I am a part of I was able to teach myself and get some help off of others in the community.
Back to the recipe...
Five years later this recipe still rules the roof. While I am not gluten intolerant, I do like to switch things up. Make sure if you are gluten intolerant you use Gluten-Free Oats- to make sure they are processed in a GF environment.
The recipe for this quick bread is really quite simple like your ordinary banana bread recipe. But this ain't ordinary! The main difference here is you need to make your own Oat Flour. It is super simple.
🍌 What are the ingredients
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Large Eggs, at room temperature
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Oat Flour, to keep Gluten Free use Gluten-Free Oats
- Baking Soda
- Greek Yogurt, Plain or Vanilla
- Very Ripe Bananas
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
📖 How do you make Oat Flour
Take either rolled or quick oats place them in a food processor and process until a fine flour-like texture. You won't end up with an all-purpose flour texture but it will look and feel like flour, with some chunks of oats in. This creates the oat flour to make the banana bread recipe.
🍽 How do you make Oat Flour Banana Bread?
Then in a large bowl add your normal banana bread recipe suspects; butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, salt, Greek yogurt or sour cream and the star bananas along with the oat flour.
The trick is to not over mix the recipe. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla then whisk to combine, next add the baking soda, salt, and oat flour, fold to just combine then fold in the Greek yogurt and bananas. I like to do the bananas last to keep some chunks of banana. And if you are like me/ my mother sprinkle some brown sugar on top before baking to create a sweet crunchy top.
And let me tell you a toasted piece of banana bread slathered with some butter, you need it.
💭Can you make oat flour banana bread muffins?
Of course. Check out my post on oat flour banana muffins here!
If you are in the mood for a skinnier version check out my Oat Flour Skinny Banana Bread it was delicious and a new family favorite!
- Four Years Ago: Cheesy Garlic Monkey Bread Bites
- Five Years Ago: Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Six Years Ago: Monkey Bread Stuffed with Cream Cheese
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 1 ¾ cups Oat Flour (225 Grams (Roughly 2 ¼ Cups Rolled Oats)), to keep Gluten Free use Gluten-Free Oats
- 4oz (½ Cup) Unsalted Butter
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 5oz ( Just over ½ Cup) Greek Yogurt, Plain or Vanilla
- 3 (Roughly 12oz) Very Ripe Bananas* see note
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a food processor add oats and blend until a fine flour texture is formed, this will take a minute or two.
- Melt butter. In a large bowl mix together the butter and sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla. Mix in oat flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a bowl mash bananas. Fold in bananas and greek yogurt into the flour mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Of course, always check with a toothpick to make sure it is fully cooked. Or a knife if you want to reach the bottom.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 3o minutes before inverting out of the pan too cool completely. Enjoy!
*The browner the better, to make your yellow bananas brown bake them on a baking sheet in a 350F/180C oven for 20 minutes, let cool before starting the recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oat flour recipes, oat flour quick bread
This recipe was originally posted on February 20, 2013.
Text from Feb 20, 2013- Lately, I have been testing out recipes with oat flour. Blend up some old-fashioned oats into a dust/flour-like texture and substitute in the recipe. I was skeptical as to how the banana bread would turn out. This oat flour banana bread was a lovely treat and a nice surprise.
The Oat Flour Banana Bread was spectacular. More than I dreamed it could be. Moist, dense but not super dense. There were oat flavors in the background but it didn't take over the banana bread flavor. I will definitely make this again.
Great for people who are Gluten Free
*Photos Updated 8/17/16*