Thick, creamy, and perfectly sweet this strawberry frosting is made with cream cheese to create a perfect tang against the sweet berry flavor.
This easy frosting recipe will wow your loved ones! Made with freeze dried strawberries this frosting is naturally flavored and naturally colored. No need for dyes in this strawberry frosting recipe!
Let's get to the recipe.
What are the ingredients for Strawberry Frosting?
- Freeze Dried Strawberries ( I find mine at Target or Trader Joe's but you can find them online too!)
- Cream Cheese softened to room temperature
- Unsalted Butter softened to room temperature
- Pinch of Salt
- Powdered Sugar/ Confectioners Sugar
- Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
How do you make Strawberry Frosting?
First things first, make sure your butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. This is crucial for a smooth, creamy frosting. If the butter or cream cheese are too cold your frosting will be lumpy!
To speed up the process of softening butter and cream cheese I suggest cutting them into small chunks. I find that microwaving either the cream cheese or butter is too risky, you can end up melting the solids.
Next, we need to make the strawberry powder. In a blender or food processor mix these babies up until a fine powder forms.
You can make this frosting recipe in a stand mixer, in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, or by hand!
If using a stand mixer fit it with the paddle attachment and beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 2 to 3 minutes on medium to high speed. The mixture should be light and fluffy and fully combined.
When the butter and cream cheese mixture is light, fluffy, and fully combined add the salt and powdered sugar. I sift the powdered sugar directly into the bowl.
The absolute last thing you want is lumpy frosting when you are going to the trouble o making it from scratch. Take the two minutes and sift it! Trust me!
Beat the frosting for one minute, mix it on low with any powders you risk creating a cloud so mix it on low until the powder is incorporated.
I also sift the freeze dried strawberry mixture, just to ensure there are no huge lumps. I do put all of it in the frosting though!
Add the heavy cream and mix on low until all the powder is combined then increase the mixing speed to medium-high and let the frosting mix for 3 to 4 minutes.
Can you make Strawberry Frosting ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the frosting and store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week before use.
Can you freeze Strawberry Frosting?
Yes! Make sure you store it in an air-tight container. Place the container of frosting in the fridge the night before you want to use it. The next day see how much the frosting has thawed, if you need to let it sit at room temperature for a little bit before re-whipping in the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand-held mixer.
Here are some of my other favorite frosting recipes:
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coffee Buttercream
- Bailey's Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
In the mood for strawberry sweets? Try:
- Nutella Strawberry French Toast
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Strawberry Chocolate Cake
- Strawberry and Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Sweet Rolls
- Strawberry Pie
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 1oz Freeze Dried Strawberries
- 8oz Cream Cheese softened to room temperature
- 4oz (½ Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- Pinch of Salt
- 437 grams (3 ½ Cups) Powdered Sugar/ Confectioners Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
- In a blender or food processor mix the freeze-dried strawberries until a fine powder forms. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 2 to 3 minutes on medium to high speed. You can also do this in a large bowl with a handheld mixer. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- When the butter and cream cheese mixture is ready sift the salt powdered sugar directly into the bowl and mix on low for one minute, then add the freeze-dried strawberry powder and heavy cream when the powder is fully combined increase the mixing speed to medium-high and let the frosting mix for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I don't like a ton of frosting so I can frost up to 18 cupcakes with this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry frosting, strawberry buttercream, strawberry icing