Coffee buttercream takes any dessert to the next level. Made with instant coffee granules this recipe is easy and delicious!
Generally, I am not so much of an American Buttercream fan, but Coffee Buttercream is a whole different story. This lush, soft, pillowy frosting is flavored with coffee creating an incredibly delicious frosting that is not too sweet!
Perfect on my Coffee Layer Cake! Or on top of brownies!
☕ What are the Ingredients for Coffee Buttercream
- Butter, at room temp.
- Powdered/ Icing Sugar, sifted
- Instant coffee or espresso powder (adjust the amount to your preference less or more)
- Hot water to liquefy the coffee
- Heavy Cream / Double Cream
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
📖 How to Make Coffee Buttercream
You can, of
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a
Sift the powdered sugar to prevent any lumps and then add half of the sugar to the butter. Mix the sugar in on low until all incorporated then increase the speed to high.
Beat for another 5 minutes then add the remaining powdered sugar (again mixing on low to incorporate then increasing the speed) and mix for 3 more minutes.
While the powdered sugar is mixing into the butter, in a small bowl add instant coffee and hot water. You can use more coffee or less depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor.
Add the coffee mixture to frosting with heavy cream and beat for another 3 minutes.
Now you are ready to spread or pipe the coffee frosting.
⏲️ Can I make
coffee frosting ahead of time
Store frosting in the fridge for up to 7 days, let come to room temperature and mix before using.
Store frosting in the freezer for up to 1 month, place in the fridge overnight to defrost and let come to room temperature then mix before using.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 8oz (1 Cup) Butter, at room temp.
- 438-500 grams (3 ½-4 Cups) Powdered Sugar, sifted, depending on how sweet/thick you want
- 1 Tablespoon Instant coffee (adjust amount to your preference less or more)
- ½oz Hot water (more or less depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor)
- 1oz (2 Tablespoons) Heavy Cream / Double Cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or large bowl with a hand held mixer beat the butter for 5 full minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the powdered sugar to prevent any lumps and add half to butter. Beat for another 5 minutes then add the remaining powdered sugar and mix for 3 more minutes.
- While powdered sugar is mixing into butter, in a small bowl add instant coffee and hot water. Add the coffee mixture to frosting with heavy cream and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Spread or pipe frosting. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days, let come to room temperature, and mix before using.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coffee frosting, frosting recipe, buttercream