Rich & moist chocolate cake is filled with juicy strawberries, fresh whipped cream and loads of chocolate ganache you will love this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake! A perfect chocolate cake for a special birthday cake or party!
Driving home from work today I found myself daydreaming about cake. Something I often do. Food obsessed much? Anyways I started dreaming of strawberries. I bought a large pack of strawberries from Costco the other day and the strawberries are so good!
When I grew up we always had strawberries. My mom would cut them up and sprinkle a little sugar on top and store them in the fridge. I often found myself searching for the strawberry with the most sugar granules on. I know, I know, strawberries are sweet on there on but you all must know by now I have a strange addiction to sugar!
Back to these strawberries from Costco- they are so sweet. I couldn't stop eating them. Literally. So I decided to make a cake as well. I was craving fresh whipped cream and chocolate-covered strawberries so I combined the ideas.
My strawberries and cream cheese pie is another favorite you have to try!
- 🍰 How do you make chocolate cake?
- 🍽What does it mean to macerate strawberries?
- 🍓 How to macerate strawberries?
- 🧁 How do you make whipped cream?
- 🍫How do you make chocolate ganache?
- 🎂 How do you assemble this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake?
- 🍫Craving more chocolate recipes
- 🍓More strawberry recipes
- Recipe Card
- 🎂 More cake recipes
- Recipe Ratings & Comments
🍰 How do you make chocolate cake?
Chocolate cake takes only simple ingredients. I highly suggest you sift your cocoa powder. As you can see in the photos there are many lumps and the last thing you want is a lumpy cake!
Once the cocoa powder is sifted add the rest of the dry ingredient sugar, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to evenly combined. No white or dark bits at the bottom, cocoa powder needs to be fully incorporated!
Then in a separate bowl mixture add your eggs, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and buttermilk.
Gently and slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet. The mixture will seem thick, that's fine.
Next comes the special ingredient. Coffee.
Adding coffee to your chocolate cake not only helps keep it moist and fluffy but coffee actually enriches the chocolate flavor. And the best part- you do no taste the coffee flavor AT ALL! If you do want to taste coffee in your cake try my Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Cake.
Add the strong brewed hot coffee, mix slowly so you don't spill.
Once the coffee has been added to the batter it will be very thin, that is good. Pour into prepared cake pans.
Once your cakes are completely cool start on your strawberries, whipped cream, and chocolate ganache.
🍽What does it mean to macerate strawberries?
Macerating strawberries just means that you are softening them, making them extra juicy and sweet. You are left with saucy strawberries.
🍓 How to macerate strawberries?
The great thing about macerating strawberries is how easy it is. Sprinkle some sugar on top of the sliced berries, mix it all together and let them sit for 30-45 minutes. You could do it up to a few hours ahead of time.
🧁 How do you make whipped cream?
I always place my metal mixing bowl and metal whisk in the freezer or fridge for ten minutes before I start the whipping. Add your whipping cream, powdered sugar and a bit of dry milk powder (this helps stabilize the cream a bit) to your chilled bowl and beat on medium speed for 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. The slower you beat your cream to whipped cream the more stabilized it will be. Once the cream is whipped set it back in the fridge while you make your ganache. I have a whole post dedicated to How to Make Stabilized Whipped Cream.
🍫How do you make chocolate ganache?
Use good quality chocolate, normally I try to use only chocolate bars and not chips, but if you have to you can use chips, I used a combo below. Then heat your heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl or in a small pot over low heat. Heat until warmed up, not boiling. Pour over chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
Let the chocolate and cream mixture sit for at least 5 minutes, the cream will melt the chocolate. Then use a whisk and mix together, until you get a smooth glossy texture.
🎂 How do you assemble this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake?
Cut each cake layer in half, to create four even layers.
On a serving platter/cake plate/ cake board place, the first layer of chocolate cake. Place a small spoonful of chocolate ganache on top and spread it evenly over the whole cake layer.
Next, spread 1/3 of the whipped cream evenly then place an even layer of the strawberry slices, place a new layer of cake then more ganache, whipped cream, and sliced strawberries. The key with any layer cake is to take a step back and make sure the cake is level- do this after each layer.
Place the last cake layer on top. Then drizzle chocolate ganache on top- use an offset spatula to push the ganache off the sides of the cake. Place fresh strawberries on top. Store in the fridge.
If you want precise chocolate drizzles then put the ganache in a squeezy bottle and drizzle down the sides.
The fresh cream is fabulous alongside the rich chocolate cake and juicy strawberries
This cake is perfect for a birthday party, holiday treat, or Sunday night dinner!
Another family favorite chocolate dessert is my Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe.
🍫Craving more chocolate recipes
- Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake Bars- a layer of cheesecake on top of thick and chewy brownies. Heaven in a bite!
- S'mores Brownies - I don't know anyone that doesn't love these brownies.
- Chocolate Chunk Potato Chip Blondies- the best sweet and salty combo around! Trust me!
🍓More strawberry recipes
★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
Rich & moist chocolate cake is filled with juicy strawberries, fresh whipped cream and loads of chocolate ganache you will love this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake! Perfect for a special birthday cake or party! Make this cake even easier and use a chocolate cake mix.
- 400 Grams (2 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 250 Grams (2 cups) 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 90 Grams (3/4 cup) Dutch-process Cocoa powder (current fave: Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4oz (1/2 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 8oz (1 cup) Whole Milk or Buttermilk, at room temp.
- 8oz(1 cup) Hot Coffee (I put 1 tbsp of instant coffee and pour hot water on top, let sit for 1 minute)
- 16oz Strawberries, all sliced but 5 saved for the top decoration
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 8oz (2/3 cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 9oz Chocolate Finely Chopped/ Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Whipped Cream & Assembly
- 24oz (3 cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Dry Milk Powder
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9 inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, vanilla, oil, and milk mix until fully combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated. Add in hot coffee, the mixture will be very thin. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- In a bowl sprinkle some sugar on top of the sliced berries, mix it all together and let them sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream either in a saucepan or a microwave safe bowl. Don't let the cream boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl pour in chocolate pieces and pour heavy cream on top of chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir until completely combined and glossy.
Whipped Cream & Assembly
- In a bowl of an electric mixer whisk heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and dry milk powder until stiff peaks form. Set in the fridge while preparing the cake.
- Cut each cake layer in half, to create 4 layers. Place one piece on cake plate/serving dish then place a small spoonful of chocolate ganache on top and spread it evenly over the whole cake layer. Next place a 1/3 of the whipped cream and strawberry slices. Making sure to keep the layers as flat as possible. Repeat until final cake layer is on top. Place chocolate ganache on top of final cake layer, let it drizzle down the sides of cake. Store cake in the fridge, best eaten day of assembly.
*Cake can be baked, wrapped in plastic wrap tightly and frozen for up to a month before serving. *If you are worried you have overbaked the cake make a simple syrup to brush on each layer. In a small pot simmer together 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water for 10 minutes. Use a pastry brush to brush the simple syrup on top of all layers.
Keywords: chocolate cake recipe, chocolate birthday cake, strawberries & cream chocolate cake
These Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake was orginally posted on May 6, 2013. As a part of the Chocolate Party hosted by Roxanas Home Baking. I joined the party in February and I have loved each month. Be sure to check out Roxanas Chocolate Strawberry Roll and see all of the other bloggers involved in the chocolate party!