Delicious, buttery soft Chocolate Chip Muffins are topped with a sprinkling of demerara sugar and extra chocolate chips. This easy muffin recipe is the perfect special occasion breakfast! Step-by-step photos ensure you bake the best muffins!
I didn’t think I would die over muffins, they’re good and all but they’re muffins. My mind was blown when I first took a bite of this chocolate chip muffin recipe. I guess that makes sense though, they’re stuffed with chocolate. And if you know me chocolate recipes are my favorite.
This muffin batter is easy to make, simple really. But packs a delicious breakfast punch. If I could eat baked goods for breakfast every day I would be in heaven, but then again I wouldn’t fit in my yoga pants either!
These muffins are perfect for Christmas morning breakfast or a birthday brunch! I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does. Some more delicious breakfast recipes are my Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Mini Apple Monkey Bread Bites, and my Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins.
My favorite way to enjoy a fresh-baked muffin? Is to slather it in some salted butter.
Let’s get to the recipe.
What are the ingredients for Chocolate Chip Muffins?
You’ll only need basic ingredients here. Super easy recipe.
- Unsalted Butter. To make things nice and easy we use melted butter. Using butter helps create a great base for delicious flavor.
- Vegetable Oil. While the butter provides great flavor the vegetable oil helps ensure they stay nice and moist.
- Granulated Sugar. We don’t need a lot of sugar these are for breakfast!
- Large Egg. Make sure your egg is at room temperature. To do this quickly place an egg in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. I used a little extra vanilla in this recipe as it compliments chocolate so well.
- All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour. To have a light and fluffy but study muffin all-purpose is the best.
- Baking Powder. Baking powder helps the muffins rise and have that great lift.
- Salt. Just a little bit helps balance out the sweetness.
- Buttermilk. If you’re like me you don’t keep buttermilk on hand. Take 1 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar then fill the measuring cup up with regular milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Chocolate Chips. Make sure you use good quality chocolate. My favorite is Callebaut Chocolate Callets. I used a mixture of milk and dark chocolate callets.
- Demerara/ Turbinado Sugar. A generous sprinkling of this thick sugar on top of the muffins helps create a gorgeous look and nice crunch.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Start by preheating the oven to 425F/218C and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, vegetable oil, and granulated sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract whisking to combine.
Next, add the buttermilk.
Make sure all the wet ingredients are fully combined.
In a separate bowl combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gently folding.
Do not over mix.
Using a large scoop divide the batter between 7-8 cups in the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle demerara sugar on top. This helps the muffin top have a beautiful glow.
Bake for five minutes then reduce the temperature to 350F/180C and bake for an additional 10 to 13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, and the muffin tops bounce back if you gently press them.
Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container.
Can you make mini muffins?
Yes, you can! Bake the muffins at a higher temperature, 425F/218C, for 5 minutes then reduce the temperature, 350F/180C, and bake for 5-8 more minutes.
Can you Freeze Muffins?
Muffins freeze very well. These muffins are great and last at room temperature up to2 days. You can also freeze the muffins for up to three months.
To freeze the muffins: Let them cool completely then place them in a freezer friendly Ziploc bag or wrap tightly in plastic wrap/ cling film. Let them freeze in a single layer then after a few hours feel free to shuffle the bag around so they take up less space or leave them in a single layer!
To thaw a frozen muffin: Let it sit at room temperature for an hour or so, place them in the fridge overnight, or microwave for 30 seconds when you want one!
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 3oz (6 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1oz (2 Tablespoons) Vegetable Oil
- 100 Grams (1/2 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, at room temp.
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 156 Grams (1 1/2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 4oz (½ Cup) Buttermilk
- 150 Grams (1 Cup) Chocolate Chips/ Chunks
- 3 Tablespoons Demera/ Turbinado Sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F/218C and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl mix together the melted butter, vegetable oil, and granulated sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract whisking to combine. Whisk in the buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gently folding. Do not over mix.
- Using a large scoop divide the batter between 7-8 cups. Sprinkle demerara sugar on top and extra chocolate chips, if desired. Bake for five minutes then reduce the temperature to 350F/180C and bake for an additional 10 to 13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, and the muffin tops bounce back if you gently press them.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container.
Keywords: chocolat chip muffin recipe, easy chocolate chip muffins, how to make chocolate chip muffins