This Raspberry Swirl Lemon Cheesecake is the perfect special occasion dessert. Raspberry Puree is swirled through a luscious lemon cheesecake all on top of a crunch Golden Oreo Crust! Step-by-step photos teach you how to make this Raspberry Swirl Lemon Cheesecake.
Cheesecake is one of my favorite things to make, especially in the summer. A nice cold dessert, oh it hits the spot! Especially lemon desserts and this year I have loved the combination of Lemon & Raspberry. They just go together so well.
If you've visited my site before you probably know that cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. I love the rich, creamy filling against a crunchy crust and then the smooth whipped cream. Although, the main reason I love a cheesecake is that its a make-ahead dessert. I always bake my cheesecake the day before I want to serve it and then let it chill in the fridge all night. It makes for one less thing to stress about when you are preparing for whatever event you have.
This raspberry swirled lemon cheesecake has four parts. A golden Oreo crust, a creamy lemon cheesecake filling, a raspberry sauce swirled right into the cheesecake batter and then topped with fresh whipped cream and more raspberries if you want 🙂
If you're looking for raspberries and chocolate try my raspberry chocolate cake recipe.
Let's get to the recipe!
What are the ingredients for a Raspberry Swirl Lemon Cheesecake?
For the crust you'll need:
- Golden or Lemon Oreos, finely crushed
- Melted Butter
You could also use graham cracker crumbs and make my graham cracker crust recipe.
To create the raspberry swirl:
- Fresh Raspberries
- Bit of Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
For the glorious cheesecake filling:
- Cream Cheese- make sure it is the brick kind not whipped. Your cream cheese needs to be completely softened to room temperature when in doubt let it soften a longer period of time than shorter.
- Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Lemons- you'll use both the zest and the juice
- Large Eggs, at room temperature- you need to make sure they are at room temperature so that they combine evenly.
Since this cheesecake is all about lemon and raspberry flavors I don't use vanilla extract.
You could leave the gorgeous cheesecake as is but I always loved whipped cream with cheesecake. I have a whole post dedicated to making stabilized whipped cream. You'll need:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Dry Milk Powder
Next time, try my strawberry cheesecake recipe.
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
How do you make a Golden Oreo Crust?
To start off a great cheesecake you need a great crust. I always prefer an Oreo crust over a graham cracker crust. I have made this cheesecake numerous times with regular Golden Oreos and the Lemon flavored ones. Either flavor works.
In a large bowl combine the finely crushed Oreos ( I find it easiest to add them to a food processor but by all means use some elbow grease and beat the Oreos in a ziplock bag with a rolling-pin). Next, add your melted butter, mix it for a minute or two so that every crumb has been coated by the butter.
Then press the crumbs up the side of your springform pan. Finally, place the pan in the fridge to chill while you make the rest of the recipe.
How do you make the Raspberry Puree Swirl?
This is ridiculously easy. In a food processor add your raspberries and a little bit of granulated sugar, blend until a liquid.
Then place a mesh strainer over a medium bowl and pour the raspberry sauce through it, using a spatula to help push the liquid through and leave the seeds behind. This takes a few minutes to do so I like to do this step before I make the cheesecake. You can even make the raspberry purée a day ahead of time.
How do you make a Lemon Cheesecake?
As with any cheesecake recipe, I beg of you, please start with room temperature cream cheese. If your cream cheese is too cold you will end up with lumps and your cheesecake will be ruined. I suggest cutting your blocks of cream cheese into small cubes and placing them on a plate to help the warming process.
Check out all my cheesecake baking tips here.
Once your cream cheese is at room temperature add it to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat for a minute or two so that the mixture is nice and creamy, you can mix on medium speed for this step only then reduce the speed to low. Then add your granulated sugar, mixing until incorporated.
Next, add in heavy cream, sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice mixing until fully combined.
Followed by the eggs one at a time. Stir until just combined. You should have a creamy batter with no lumps.
What is the best way to create a raspberry swirl?
Once the cheesecake filling is ready to pour into prepared pan, place dollops of raspberry puree and use a knife to swirl the dollops into the cheesecake batter.
How do I make a water bath for cooking my cheesecake?
Then place your springform pan into a larger 10/11 inch cake pan place that cake pan in the roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the cake pan. This prevents ANY water from getting in the cheesecake and you don't have to wrap everything with foil. If you do not have a larger cake pan just wrap the springform pan with heavy-duty foil- this will prevent any water seeping inside- unless there are any rips in the foil so be careful!!
How do I make a cheesecake with no cracks?
- Let the cheesecake rest in the oven when baked
- When about the inner 2-inch diameter of the cheesecake is jiggly and the rest is set I turn the oven off and let the Cheesecake rest in the oven for 1 hour, I usually prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon for the last 20-30 minutes You can also use a digital thermometer to check the internal temperature has reached 145F/63C.
- Cooling the cheesecake
- Take Cake Pan out of the roasting pan and let Cheesecake cool further on a wire rack for one hour
- After the cheesecake has cooled wrap it in plastic wrap and let the cheesecake chill overnight or a minimum of 6 hours
Once the cheesecake has fully cooled I make some fresh whipped cream and use a star tip to pipe it on the edge of the cheesecake. You could, of course, use canned whipped cream but I loooove the fresh stuff. And if you are feeling fancy place to fresh raspberry on top to decorate.
I have a whole post dedicated to making stabilized whipped cream, it only takes 4 ingredients and five minutes.
How do I get clean slices when I cut the cheesecake?
- When cutting the cheesecake to serve always have a hot cloth nearby to wipe the knife clean after each cut
- When serving let the cheesecake sit for 5-10 minutes before serving
Try my Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake next!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!
- Two Years Ago: Peach & Raspberry Crumb Bars
- Four Years Ago: Classic Basil Pesto
- Five Years Ago: Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1-12 oz package Golden or Lemon Oreos, finely crushed
- 2oz (¼ Cup) Butter, melted
- 6oz Fresh Raspberries
- 2 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 16oz Cream Cheese (not whipped), completely softened to room temperature
- 150 grams (¾ Cup) Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 3.5oz (⅓ cup) Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Zest of Two medium-sized Lemons
- Juice of 2 medium sized lemons about 2.6oz (⅓ Cup)
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 8oz (1 Cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Milk Powder
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch springform pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. In a small bowl combine Lemon Oreos and melted butter. Press into bottom and slightly up upsides of prepared pan. Place in fridge while you make the cheesecake.
- In a food processor blend raspberries and sugar until the mixture is in liquid form. Pour mixture through a strainer to get rid of all seeds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat cream cheese for 3 minutes on medium. Now on low speed add granulated sugar and beat for another 3 minutes. Add in heavy cream, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice mixing until fully combined. Add in eggs one at a time. You should have a creamy batter with no lumps.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, place dollops of raspberry puree and use a knife to swirl the dollops into the cheesecake batter. Place the springform pan in a 10-inch cake pan- place cake pan in roasting pan and fill roasting pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the cake pan. This prevents ANY water from getting in the cheesecake and you don't have to wrap everything with foil.**
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until the middle of the cheesecake, should jiggle just a little bit, (bake a little longer if using an 8-inch pan). Turn oven off and let cool in the oven for 1 hour then take out of roasting pan and wrap with plastic wrap. Let sit in the fridge overnight.
- The next day take the cheesecake out of the fridge and using a hot clean knife cut slices of cheesecake, I clean my knife for each slice for clean slices.
- When ready to serve Cheesecake, take your bowl and whisk attachment to the mixer chill it in the freezer for 5 minutes. When ready whisk heavy cream for 1 minute, add powdered sugar and milk powder. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Using a pastry bag and any tip you like to pipe the whipped cream around the edges of the cake, I like to pipe mine pretty high. Then top with fresh raspberries. To serve use a hot clean knife cut slices of cheesecake. Store in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 70 Minutes
- Category: Cheesecake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon raspberry dessert recipe, lemon cheesecake recipe, easy cheesecake recipe,
This post was originally published on September 16, 2014. Text and photos have been updated.