Easy and delicious homemade bagel dough is stuffed with a cream cheese mixture. The cream cheese is filled with bits of cooked bacon and scallions! These bagel bombs are the perfect addition to your brunch table!
I have a weird relationship with cookbooks I NEED to have them. I buy tons on Amazon and then Amazon goes ahead and suggests another cookbook I need. It is a vicious cycle! The problem is I look at them ooh and aww and then the book is put on the shelf. Rarely touched.
So my new goal is to bake/cook something from a cookbook at least once a week. I bought the Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook a while ago, and while I absolutely LOVE visiting Milk Bar every time I am in NYC the cookbook has not been used. Until now! I already planned to make cinnamon rolls for my birthday morning so I decided to add bagel bombs to the menu.
These are SO easy to make and SO delicious. Seriously amaze!
The dough was super easy to make, I made it the night before to make things even easier. I cut the dough into chunks and placed a cube of frozen cream cheese mixture on top.
Pinched all the sides together and then rolled it between my hands to ensure it was closed up completely.
Brush these babies with an egg wash, sprinkle some cheese on and bake!Print
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ packet yeast
- 1 ¾ cup water
Cream Cheese Filling
- 5 oz bacon
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup good quality cheese grated
- Stir together flour, salt, and yeast in the bowl of electric mixer. Add water and continue mixing. The mixture will come together in a "shaggy mass". Put the dough hook on and mix for 3 minutes or until the dough is smoother and in one big ball. Continue to knead dough for 4 more minutes on low speed. The dough should bounce back when prodded.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise at room temperature for 45 minutes. Then you can use your dough or if making ahead of time place it in an airtight container at least double its size and place in fridge until using. When ready to use let the dough sit at room temp 30-45minutes before using.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat cream cheese until light and fluffy 3-4 minutes.
- Cook bacon till nice and crisp, then cut into small pieces, set aside to cool. Add bacon fat in with cream cheese.
- Then add scallions, sugar, salt and bacon pieces. Place mixture in an 8X8 pan and freeze for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with Silpat liner. On a dry countertop punch down dough and then divide into 16 equal pieces. Gently stretch each piece of dough into a minidisc shape between 2-3 inches wide. Take cream cheese mixture out of the freezer and cut into 16 equal chunks. Place one chunk of cream cheese on the middle of dough disc. Pinch dough together to fully enclose cream cheese, roll dough between hands to ensure fully closed.
- Crack an egg and whisk it for 1 minute. Brush egg mixture on top of bagel bombs and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10-20 minutes, be careful not to burn your mouth, the cream cheese mixture is hot!
*total time includes chill/ raise time for overnight
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bagel ball recipe, savory cream cheese filling
Recipe Source: Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook