Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are a nice healthy twist on the classic chocolate chip cookies, Still chewy and moist the oat flour is a nice touch
So as of late I have been kind of obsessed with chocolate chip cookies. Okay I lied it’s not as of late, it’s as of always. But oat flour I have been interested in lately. I made some oat flour banana bread. I just poured some old fashioned oats into a blender and mixed until it was flour type mixture. And the banana bread turned out fantastic so I thought it was only right to begin experimenting in the kitchen with oat flour. And why not experiment with a classic that I love so much? Oat flour chocolate chip cookies?
I did not substitute all of the all-purpose flour for oat flour- I did half and half. I also did not blend the oats as well as I should have. Hey I was in a hurry and needed a cookie!!
I really did enjoy these cookies. The oat flavor was there but not over powering. I think I might make some monster cookies with oat flour! I also used new Hershey Baking Melts- huge chocolate discs. They worked great!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F and if using one line your baking sheet with a silpat liner.
- Whisk the flour and baking soda together and set aside.To brown the butter cook the butter over low to medium heat. Swirl it every so often. The process will take around 5 minutes.
- Continue cooking the butter until you get a nutty aroma. The scent is nutty yet caramel-y.
- Pour the brown butter into the bowl of an electric mixer or a heatproof bowl. Mix in the last 4 tablespoons of butter. Mix until completely dissolved in the brown butter.
- Add in the brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined. Add in egg and egg yolk until combined about 30 seconds. Let sit for 3 minutes and mix for 30 seconds again. Repeat the process 2 more times.
- Mix in the flour mixture until fully combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet, I clumped my dough into 2 tbsp-ish mounds. I don’t roll the cookie dough into a ball, instead make it taller. This creates a thicker cookie
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown but still look a bit under cooked.
Recipe adapted from: Chocolate Chip Cookies