Calling all chocoholics, only five ingredients are needed to make this delicious chocolate dump cake recipe. This scrumptious cake is full of rich, chocolate flavor. Step-by-step photos teach you how to make this simple cake!
I first discovered "dump cakes" a few years ago. Such easy dessert recipes. These easy but scrumptious cakes start with a cake mix and some melted butter then normally there is some kind of fruit. I've made a peach dump cake recipe and a caramel apple dump cake recipe, both delicious but let's be honest it's me after all, chocolate is superior to fruit!
So instead of fruit, this recipe calls for chocolate pudding mix and chocolate chips. Some chocolate dump cake recipes call for cherry pie filling but I wanted to skip the fruit altogether Ha!
You literally just mix together a chocolate cake mix and some melted butter, sprinkle on a chocolate pudding mix, some milk, and chocolate chips then bake. The pudding mix almost goes gooey and chewy like a marshmallow and the chocolate cake mix turns into a sort of crunchy but chewy chocolate. Best served warm with ice cream, trust me!
You only need five ingredients and you mix it all in the cake pan, no bowl necessary!
- Butter. The butter needs to be melted, it mixes together
- Box Chocolate Cake Mix. You can use any brand you like, I prefer a devil's food cake mix!
- Box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix. You just need the smaller size box, 3.4oz.
- Whole Milk. The milk helps transform the pudding mix into the gooey, marshmallow texture.
- Chocolate Chips. I use a combination of both milk chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If you like peanut butter then adding some peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips would be fantastic! Or toffee chips too!
For ingredient quantities please reference the recipe card below. On the recipe card there is a button for US or M (Metric) measurements.
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9" X 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Add the dry cake mix and melted butter to the pan and stir together until combined, I just use a fork but you could use a whisk.
Sprinkle the chocolate pudding mix all over the top in an even layer. Pour milk all over, again in the best even layer that you can do.
Then sprinkle chocolate chips on top, one cup is quite indulgent but delicious!
Bake for 33-38 minutes, the top should look set, if it jiggles slightly that is okay.
Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake, if you are a real chocolate lover pour on some hot fudge sauce on top. Caramel sauce would be great too!
I store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container and microwave them before enjoying them again! Another chocolate cake you are sure to love is this chocolate pudding cake recipe.
More chocolate recipes
My chocolate crack cake starts with a cake mix as well but it's also made with red wine. The wine is cooked out, but trust me the cake is incredibly moist and delicious!
One of my family's favorite desserts is this chocolate chip cheesecake recipe.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 12 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 15.25oz Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3.4oz Box Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 10oz (1 ¼ Cup) Whole Milk
- ½ - 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9" X 13" pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Add the chocolate cake mix and melted butter to the pan and stir together until combined.
- Sprinkle the chocolate pudding mix all over the top in an even layer. Pour milk all over, again in the best even layer that you can do. Then sprinkle chocolate chips on top, one cup is quite indulgent but delicious!
- Bake for 33-38 minutes, the top should look set, if it jiggles slightly that is okay. Best served warm with ice cream.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate dump cake recipe, chocolate cake mix