This delicious chocolate chip cookie in a mug is the ultimate last-minute glorious dessert! Nine of your pantry staples are mixed together to create a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie you can be enjoying in less than 5 minutes from idea to clean up! Step-by-step photos show you how to make a microwave chocolate chip cookie!
Ever get a night where you are just craving a chocolate chip cookie? Cuz I do, almost every night! Hi, I am Elizabeth and I am addicted to sweets! I need dessert every night! But like most people, I am a busy bee and don't always have time to whip up a batch of cookies. Insert microwave chocolate chip cookie. This is so easy to whip up, like dangerously easy, and quick! Depending on your mug, how short and wide or how skinny and tall it is, your cookie will be cooked in the microwave within 45-60 seconds, almost instant in the baking world!
I prefer to use a mixture of dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips just like I do in my brown butter chocolate chip cookies. Heck if white chocolate is your thing then use white chocolate chips!
And like most warm chocolate chip cookies, the addition of a scoop of vanilla ice cream is always welcome!
If you're looking for the ultimate mug cake then check out my friend Julie's chocolate mug cake!
For this quick chocolate chip cookie, you will need:
- Butter. I prefer to use salted butter but you can use unsalted butter. Since you are using melted butter there is no need to let it sit at room temperature.
- Sugar. Using a combination of both brown sugar and granulated white sugar creates that classic chocolate chip cookie flavor profile. I generally use light brown sugar but you can also use dark brown sugar.
- Egg Yolk. You will only need one egg yolk for this recipe, you can save the egg white for an omelette or making meringue cookies or even a Swiss meringue buttercream.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. You can’t have a classic chocolate chip cookie without some vanilla extract. Do me a favor and use the real stuff please!
- All-Purpose Flour. Make sure you measure your flour properly, too much or too little can drastically effect the texture of this cookie!
- Baking Soda. For the baking soda it will help the cookie rise in the microwave. But you only need a pinch so grab two fingers and pinch the baking soda and throw that in the mix.
- Salt. Just a bit of salt as needed! Just like the baking soda.
- Chocolate Chips. For the chocolate chips you can use chocolate chips, chocolate bars chopped up, candy bars, anything you want to make your cookie with.
In a microwave-safe mug add the melted butter and sugars and mix to combine.
Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix until no trace of egg yolk is left behind.
Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined.
If desired add more chocolate chips on top!
Microwave on high for 45-60 seconds, depending on how short and wide or tall and narrow your teacup is the cookie might be better at 45 seconds for a wider shorter mug and 60 seconds for a taller narrower mug! Let sit for 1 minute before enjoying.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top if desired.
Check out this post on my Cookie Baking Tips
Can you double
You can totally double the recipe by pressing the 2X button on the recipe card below. Use two separate mugs though!
More chocolate chip desserts
When I made this chocolate chip cheesecake for the first time I severely underrated just how popular it would be with everyone, let me tell you this was a huge hit!! Try this chocolate chip cheesecake bar recipe!
If you want a scrumptious cookie then you gotta try my brown butter chocolate chip cookies! Seriously UNREAL!
My chocolate chip pound cake is not safe in my house, I devour it so quickly!!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- ¼ Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoon All-Purpose Flour
- Pinch of Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
- In a microwave-safe mug add the melted butter and sugars and mix to combine. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix until no trace of egg yolk is left behind. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips then mix until just combined. Top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Microwave on high for 45-60 seconds, depending on how short and wide or tall and narrow your teacup is the cookie might be better at 45 seconds for a wider shorter mug and 60 seconds for a taller narrower mug! Let sit for 1 minute before enjoying. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.