Deliciously moist this quick bread is full of bananas and a swirl of sour cream to help seal in the richness and moisture of this Banana Bread!
So there I was again, an abundance of overripe bananas sitting on the kitchen countertop. Banana bread would be made tomorrow I thought. The banana bread recipe we use in our family is good, not great, but good.
I wrote that back in 2012, this recipe was originally published August 1, 2012. Since then I have made countless loaves of banana bread, good
This classic banana bread recipe has been tweaked over the years. The beauty of banana bread is how quickly it is made. And how it seems to be a perfect breakfast, treat, or snack. So versatile!
Let's get to the recipe...
What are the ingredients
- Unsalted Butter melted- because who has time to wait for room temperature butter!
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Large Eggs- to quickly warm eggs to room temperature I place them in a bowl in the sink and run warm water over them and let them sit for 5 minutes while I get the rest of the ingredients ready.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- Baking Soda
- Sour Cream/ Greek Yogurt- you can use either I often use Greek yogurt since I
alwayshave it on hand. Adding this moisture bomb gives this bread the best texture.
- Very Ripe Bananas
You need ripe bananas. Brown speckly goodness.
If you like nuts then try my banana walnut bread recipe.
How do I make bananas ripe faster?
You can place bananas on a baking tray and bake them for 20 minutes at 350F/180C. The bananas will ripen, most likely turning black, let them cool before removing the skin.
Start by preheating the oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. It is important your oven is properly preheated, or you could end up with undercooked banana bread with a soggy center.
In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and sugars. Then add eggs and vanilla extract.
Add bananas and use a potato masher to mash them into the wet ingredients.
Stir in sour cream or Greek yogurt to the mashed bananas.
Gently fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt. If you wanted to add some chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts now would be the time, or chocolate chips!
Make sure you do not over-mix the dry ingredients into the batter. Just until most of the flour has disappeared.
Pour into the banana bread batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle optional brown sugar topping.
Bake for 50-60 minutes. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan.
Let cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature unless you live in a warm climate store in the fridge.
This really is the perfect snack, any time of the day. Try it cold out of the fridge, sliced and toasted slathered with a bit of butter, or room temp. You truly can't beat homemade banana bread.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 4oz (1/ 2 Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 250 grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 6oz (¾ Cup) Sour Cream/ Greek Yogurt
- 12oz (3 Medium) Very Ripe Bananas (measured without peel)
- Optional Topping:
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter and sugars. Then add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add bananas and use a potato masher to mash them. Mix in sour cream or Greek yogurt. Gently fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle optional brown sugar topping.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature unless you live in a warm climate store in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best banana bread recipe, easy banana bread, banana bread with sour cream