You're going to love this secret ingredient banana bread. Try adding a box of instant pudding for a delicious pudding banana bread recipe.
So I tried to stay away from banana bread I even tried going down the lemon path with a Lemon Loaf but I couldn't resist coming back to my dearly beloved.
I was planning on staying away but when I was cleaning out the cupboards I found a box of banana pudding mix that needed to be used. So I thought hmm add it to banana bread? I have seen others do it so I thought why not? And I am glad I did.
This bread was moist, super banana-y and the perfect snack for any time of the day! I hope you try it. It takes 5 minutes to whip up!
This quick bread recipe will need the following:
- Ripe Bananas. You'll need 12oz of mashed bananas, which is about three large ripe bananas. I highly suggest weighing them to make sure you have enough!
- Unsalted Butter. The butter just needs to be melted.
- Granulated Sugar. The sugar helps sweeten the bread, as well as add moisture and structure to the quick bread.
- Large Eggs. The eggs should be at room temperature to evenly incorporate into teh rest of the ingredients.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. The vanilla gives a nice warm flavor to the bread.
- Sour Cream. This moisture bomb helps create a soft, tender and moist bread. You could also use full-fat Greek yogurt
- Box Instant Pudding Mix. You need a small box of pudding, its a 3.4oz size box. You can use instant banana pudding mix or instant vanilla pudding mix.
- All-Purpose Flour. Make sure not to over-mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients which can over develop the gluten and create a tougher banana bread.
- Baking Soda. This chemical leavening agent will help the bread rise while baking.
- Salt. Don't skip this ingredient, the salt bring out the flavors of all of the other ingredients.
Pudding Banana Bread Variations: Feel free to add your favorite banana bread mix-ins think chocolate chips, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts or a teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
For ingredient quantities please reference the recipe card below. On the recipe card there is a button for US or M (Metric) measurements.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl add the bananas and use a fork to mash.
Add in the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix until fully combined.
Gently fold in the pudding mix, flour, baking soda, and salt, mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle on a tablespoon or two of light brown sugar and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a knife stuck in the center comes out with no wet batter.
Let the pudding banana bread cool on a wire rack then invert to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
For most quick breads, including banana bread, the internal temperature should reach 200°F/93C to 205°F/96°C when it is done cooking.
When my bananas are ripened I often freeze them then when I am ready to bake banana bread thaw them in a bowl in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours. as they will release a lot of liquid.
Since banana bread is so moist it grows mold quickly, you can store it at room temperature for 4 days or so but if you want it to last longer store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
More recipes using pudding mix
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- My friend makes these delicious Cranberry Pistachio Pudding Cookies
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 12oz (3 Large) Ripe Bananas
- 4oz (½ Cup/ 1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4oz (½ Cup) Sour Cream or Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1- 3.4oz Box Instant Pudding Mix (Banana or Vanilla)
- 250 grams (2 cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl add the bananas and use a fork to mash. Add in the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix until fully combined. Gently fold in the pudding mix, flour, baking soda, and salt, mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle on a tablespoon or two of light brown sugar and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a knife stuck in the center comes out with no wet batter. Let the bread cool on a wire rack then invert to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pudding recipes, banana bread recipe
This post was originally published on March 6, 2013 as of September 17, 2023 the post has been updated.