Our pumpkin banana bread recipe is a delicious snack that can be used for breakfast, snack, or dessert. Step by step photos teach you how to bake it!
My niece and nephew adored this bread and could not stop snacking on it. It's the perfect blend of flavors and not overly sweet or spiced. I love it slightly toasted with a schemer of salted butter on top.
For this quick bread recipe you will need:
- Mashed Ripe Bananas. Make sure you use ripe bananas as the riper the banana the sweeter they are.
- Butter. I use salted butter but you can use unsalted butter if you want. The butter should be melted. You could probably substitute a neutral oil instead of the butter if you want.
- Brown Sugar. Brown sugar adds a little warmth to the batter, thanks to the molasses in it. Brown sugar also helps activate the baking soda.
- Granulated Sugar. The sugar not only sweetens the quick bread but also aids in the structure of the bread.
- Vanilla Extract. Vanilla pairs beautifully with pumpkin pie spice.
- Large Eggs. The eggs need to be at room temperature so they properly emulsify into the rest of the ingredients.
- Pumpkin Puree. The pumpkin puree adds so much moisture to the bread. Make sure you use pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling.
- All-Purpose Flour. Make sure you measure your flour properly, too much or too little can drastically alter the bread.
- Baking Soda. The baking soda will be activated by the acid in the recipe. Helping the bread rise.
- Baking Powder. The baking powder is already activated and will also help the quick bread rise while baking.
- Salt. Salt brings out the flavor profiles of all of the other ingredients.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice. You can use store bought or check out my recipe for how to make pumpkin pie spice. I use ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground ginger, and allspice.
You could add some chopped pecans or chopped walnuts to the batter or even chocolate chips. I would start with 1 cup of mix-ins.
For ingredient quantities please reference the recipe card below. On the recipe card there is a button for US or M (Metric) measurements.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9" X 5" loaf pan and set aside.
In a large bowl mash the banana. Then add the butter, sugars, vanilla extract, eggs, and pumpkin puree to the mashed banana. Stir until fully combined.
Place a sieve over the wet ingredients and sift in the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice. Then use a spatula to gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix, overmixing creates a tough texture in the bread.
If you wanted to add any chopped nuts this would be the time to mix them in.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the bread bounces back when you touch the top gently or a toothpick inserted comes out with no wet crumbs.
Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes then remove from pan to cool on a wire rack completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
FAQ and Tips for Success
Once baked and fully cooled wrap the whole loaf or wrap slices of bread in plastic wrap, twice, tightly. This helps prevent freezer burn. Store them in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months.
Let the slices of bread thaw on the counter at room temperature or warm in a 300F oven for a few minutes before serving.
- Make sure to use room temperature ingredients to ensure everything evenly combines.
- Don't over mix the batter once the flour is added or you will activate the gluten formation causing a tougher bread.
More pumpkin recipes
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 6oz (¾ Cup) Mashed Ripe Bananas
- 4oz (½ Cup) Butter, melted
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Brown Sugar
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 8oz (1 Cup) Pumpkin Puree
- 250 grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9" X 5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the banana then add the butter, sugars, vanilla extract, eggs, and pumpkin puree. Mix until fully combined.
- Place a sieve over the wet ingredients and sift in the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Then use a spatula to gently fold to combine. Do not over mix, overmixing creates a tough bread.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the bread bounces back when you touch the top gently or a toothpick inserted comes out with no wet crumbs. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes then remove from pan to cool on wire rack completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
You may also like