You're going to love this blueberry banana bread recipe. Step-by-step photos teach you how to bake this simple quick bread recipe.
I absolutely adore banana bread it's one of those foods that is acceptable anytime of the day; breakfast, snack, or dessert! Check out all of my banana bread recipes.
If you love blueberries and banana then check out my banana blueberry muffins, next!
For this simple quick bread recipe you will need:
- Unsalted Butter. Your butter should be melted and slightly cooled.
- Sugars. I like to use a combination of granulated whtie sugar and light brown sugar but you could use only one type of sugar if that is all you had on hand.
- Large Eggs. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature so they evenly incorporate into the rest of the ingredients. You can do this quickly by placing them in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. Love the warmth of vanilla in banana bread!
- Very Ripe Bananas. The spottier your bananas the sweeter they will be, perfect for those ugly brown bananas. This recipe calls for roughly 3 large bananas but I highly suggest you weigh them, measured without peel on.
- Sour Cream. This moisture bomb makes an incredibly soft, tender, and moist bread! You can also use full-fat Greek Yogurt.
- All-Purpose Flour. Make sure you measure your flour properly. Also known as Plain Flour.
- Baking Soda. This chemical leavening agent helps the bread rise while baking.
- Salt. This little guy while a small amount, helps all of the other ingredient's flavor profiles shine through.
- Blueberries. I use Frozen Blueberries but Fresh Blueberries will work too. Just make sure they are tossed in 2 Tablespoons of Flour, this helps prevent them from sinking. Don't let the frozen blueberries sit out and thaw- they will bleed! So take them out just before folding them into the quick bread batter.
You can add a little lemon zest if you want to brighten the blueberries.
For ingredient quantities please reference the recipe card below. On the recipe card there is a button for US or M (Metric) measurements.
In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Add the butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream to the mashed bananas. You don't need a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, a plain old whisk will do the trick! Mix until fully incorporated.
Place a fine mesh sieve over the bowl and sift in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
Gently fold in the flour-coated blueberries, do not over-mix or you will cause the blueberries to bleed their color too much.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature unless you live in a warm climate store in the fridge.
How to freeze
Blueberry banana bread freezes beautifully. Once the bread is baked and cooled completely wrap it in plastic wrap tightly, twice then in aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn.
To thaw the bread place it in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter at room temperature for a couple of hours.
You can freeze the loaf whole or in slices.
More Banana Recipes
- Banana Bread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Muffins
- Banana Bundt Cake
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 4oz (1/ 2 Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 12oz (3 Medium) Very Ripe Bananas (measured without peel)
- 4oz (½ Cup) Sour Cream/ Greek Yogurt
- 250 grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Frozen Blueberries or Fresh Blueberries tossed in 2 Tablespoons of Flour
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 1lb Loaf Pan or a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Add in the butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over the bowl and sift in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold in the flour-coated blueberries, do not over-mix or you will cause the blueberries to bleed their color too much.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature unless you live in a warm climate store in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana bread with blueberries, blueberry banana bread recipe, banana blueberry bread
You may also like