This simple pumpkin bundt cake recipe comes together very easily! Full of warm pumpkin and fall flavor this moist pumpkin cake is an easy recipe to serve to a crowd. Step-by-step photos teach you how to bake this cake!
I tested this cake a few times, once extra because I was too exhausted to finish taking the photos, and this recipe post wouldn't have worked without the photos! Ha I based the recipe off of my brown butter pumpkin cake recipe. I altered it for a bundt cake style recipe and we fell in love with it. I love this nordic ware brilliance bundt cake pan I used it's so easy to slice and serve lots of people!
Let's get to the recipe
For the bundt cake recipe you'll need:
- All-Purpose Flour. Make sure you measure your flour properly too much or too little can alter the cake texture! I use a scale but you can use cups!
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice. This blend of spices provides all of the warm flavors, you can use store-bought or I have a recipe for pumpkin pie spice. A combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and allspice.
- Baking Soda. This chemical leavening agent helps the cake rise and is activated by the brown sugar in the cake.
- Baking Powder. Since there is not a ton of acidity in the ingredient line up the cake also needs baking powder which does not need to be activated to help the cake rise and lift while baking.
- Salt. This ingredient helps all other ingredients' flavor profiles shine through, don't skip it!
- Pumpkin Puree. Make sure you use just pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling. And you want it to be at room temperature!
- Large Eggs. The eggs need to be at room temperature to be evenly incorporated into the batter. You can do this quickly by placing the eggs in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes before using.
- Butter. This recipe calls for melted butter so it's easy peasy! I use salted butter but if you want you can use unsalted butter.
- Vegetable Oil. Adding a little extra oil helps create an incredibly moist cake.
- Sugars. I like to use a combination of granulated white sugar and light brown sugar. You could use dark brown sugar too.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. Vanilla pairs beautifully with all the pumpkin flavors! Use the real stuff, no imitation, please!
Adding mini chocolate chips into the batter would be a great addition!
For the cream cheese glaze you'll need:
- Cream Cheese. The key is that the cream cheese is completely softened to room temperature. You can do this quickly by placing the foil-wrapped block of cream cheese in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes or so.
- Confectioner's Sugar. Make sure you measure properly. If you add too much liquid and need a thicker glaze add another couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. Just a splash gives the glaze the delicious warm flavor.
- Heavy Cream or Milk. This makes the glaze creamier and it thins it out for the perfect drizzling consistency.
This cream cheese frosting glaze is so delicious, you'll want to drink it, haha!
When baking anything you must make sure your oven is properly heated otherwise it won't bake properly! You'll need to preheat the oven to 350F/180C and heavily grease a 10-cup bundt pan, making sure to get every groove.
Start by combining the dry ingredients, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
In another large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, butter, oil, sugars, and vanilla extract.
You want to make sure everything is fully combined and there is no trace of egg left behind.
Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient until just combined.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with no wet crumbs. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting start with a medium bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the cream cheese and confectioners sugar for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Carefully mix in the vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix for 2 more minutes.
The glaze should drip back down into the bowl and disappear into the frosting right away.
Drizzle the cream cheese glaze on top of the cooled cake.
I like to place the cake in the fridge to let the frosting kind of set up for 15 minutes or so.
Thie pumpkin bundt cake is incredibly moist and delicious.
Due to the cream cheese glaze, it's best to store any leftovers in the fridge! I do like to let my cake sit for 15 minutes when ready to serve to take the chill off.
How to freeze
This pumpkin bundt cake will freeze beautifully, I suggested freezing without the glaze though. Once the cake is baked and completely cooled wrap it in plastic wrap tightly, and repeat. Two layers of plastic wrap help prevent air from getting to the cake.
To thaw the cake place it in the fridge overnight.
More pumpkin recipes
If you love pumpkin then you gotta try my pumpkin creme brulee recipe, talk about creamy and dreamy!
One of the most popular recipes on CBQ during the Autumn season is my pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Hands down the only way you should enjoy a fall breakfast!
My friend Danielle makes the best Gluten Free Spiced Pumpkin Brownies.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 15oz Pumpkin Puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and heavily grease a 10-cup bundt pan, making sure to get every groove.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, butter, oil, sugars, and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with no wet crumbs.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the cream cheese and confectioners sugar for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Carefully mix in the vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix for 2 more minutes. The glaze should drip back down into the bowl and disappear into the frosting right away.
- Drizzle cream cheese glaze on top of the cake. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: pumpkin spice bundt cake, easy pumpkin bundt cake