Easy, quick and delicious these Brown Butter Rice Krispies are perfect for a lunchtime treat or midnight snack. Gorgeous caramelized flavor from the brown butter and extra chewiness from the marshmallows!
I grew up in the 90's in California and Rice Krispies were one of the most frequent lunchtime treats. Those blue shiny wrappers were always a sign of a good lunch. Like most things, I think homemade is always better. You are able to control things, adjust them to your liking. I find some rice Krispies are just sickly sweet and often not chewy/ marshmallowy enough. This leads me to this brown butter rice Krispies recipe. It's easy to make, no-bake and can be made the day before.
I have made these a few times, most recently for a group of my friends and family who went to Big Bear for the 4th. Needless to say, these went down well and disappeared quite quickly.
Let's get to the recipe.
Rice Krispies are an easy treat to make. Butter, marshmallows, Rice cereal and a pinch of salt. When I was younger, when dessert recipes called for salt, I'd be like gross I don't need salt, so I would omit it. Big mistake, salt helps bring out flavors and makes them shine. Just a pinch is needed in this recipe.
Do I have to brown the butter?
While you definitely could just melt the butter, I love browned butter. I wrote a whole post on it here. The nutty, caramelized flavor it has is spectacular and in my opinion, just enhances the flavor.
Start the recipe by placing your marshmallows in a large bowl and your rice krispies in another large bowl. The whole mis en place thing really works. (Mis en place means to set your space, put everything ready to go- helps you not forget to add something and move quickly when dealing with melting ingredients.) Then in a large pot over medium heat add your stick of butter, 4oz, and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently until the butter has turned a golden brown with lots of brown specks.
Once your butter has browned add your marshmallows, mix together softly. Look at those gorgeous brown flecks. Makes my heart flutter. Sad I know, but food is life.
Once the majority of your marshmallows have melted add your rice cereal, mix that a few times, before it has completely combined add the remaining marshmallows from the bag. Adding the extra marshmallows is another tip to take these treats to the next level. Also- If I can use up the whole bag then I will. Half full bags of ingredients always seem to pile up/ spill out so if I can use it I will.
Continue mixing until every rice cereal is coated, you will still have chunks of marshmallows- thanks to the ones you just added. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan. And using a spatula press down evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool for an hour before cutting.
Can I make Brown Butter Rice Krispies ahead of time
If you are serving them the next day I prefer to cut that day. Keeps them fresher. Store in an airtight container for a few days, but they probably won't last that long. These are my favorite plastic containers.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!
- Four Years Ago: Raspberry Lemonies
- Five Years Ago: Bailey's Double Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
- Six Years Ago: Biscoff Cupcakes
- 4oz (1 Stick/ 8Tbsp) Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 16oz Mini Marshmallows, divided
- 6oz (6 Cups) Rice Krispies
- Place 10oz marshmallows in a large bowl and leave the rest in the bag and your rice Krispies in another large bowl set aside. Grease a 9X13 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large pot over medium heat add your stick of butter and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently until the butter has turned a golden brown with lots of brown specks. Add salt and 10oz of marshmallows to butter, stirring until melted.
- Once the majority of your marshmallows have melted add your rice cereal, mix that a few times, before it has completely combined add the remaining marshmallows in the bag.
- Continue mixing until every rice cereal is coated, you will still have chunks of marshmallows- thanks to the ones you just added. Pour into the prepared pan. And using a spatula press down evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool for an hour before cutting.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brown butter rice krispies, rice krispies recipe, easy rice krispies