This recipe for homemade chocolate rice Krispies treats is easy to make. If you are an avid rice Krispies treat enthusiast, this recipe will be your new favorite. Step-by-step photos teach you how to make them!
The classic American rice krispies treat is something that is simple, quick, and easy to make. My nieces and nephews love making the gooey marshmallow treats. A few weeks back we decided to test out a chocolate version. I started off by analyzing my brown butter rice krispies treat recipe and built this recipe from there.
This recipe calls for both cocoa powder and chocolate chips for an intense chocolate flavor! I use this combo in my chocolate rice pudding recipe too!
Let's get to the recipe
- Salted Butter. Since this is full of sweet marshmallows and chocolate I like to use salted butter to balance the flavors out. Plus salt helps other flavors shine through!
- Mini Marshmallows. You'll need to divide the marshmallows as you will add them at two different times.
- Cocoa Powder. Since the cocoa powder does not need to react with baking soda or baking powder like it does in my chocolate cake recipe, you can use natural cocoa powder or Dutch-process cocoa powder. Just make sure it's unsweetened cocoa powder. My preference is Dutch-processed cocoa! Adding the cocoa powder helps give an enhance
- Chocolate Chips. I like to use whatever I have on hand- sometimes it's milk chocolate chips others semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Cocoa Rice Krispies. Now since we are using melted chocolate and cocoa powder there is a lot of chocolate flavor going but I also like to use cocoa rice Krispies! You could use normal rice Krispie cereal in a pinch!
Check out my peanut butter rice Krispie treats next!
Start by dividing the marshmallows, put the first 10oz in a large bowl, leave the rest in the bag, and measure out your Cocoa Rice Krispies in another large bowl set aside. Grease a 9X13 Baking Pan with non-stick spray.
In a large pot or large saucepan over medium-low heat add the butter and cook to melt for a few minutes, stirring frequently until just melted. Add the 10oz of marshmallows to the melted butter, and stir until melted.
Once the majority of your marshmallows have melted add your chocolate chips and cocoa powder.
Mix the marshmallow mixture until fully melted then add the cocoa rice cereal and remaining marshmallows.
Continue mixing until all of the rice cereal is coated, you will still have chunks of marshmallows- thanks to the ones you just added.
Pour the rice crispy mixture into the baking dish. I like to use a spatula to press down evenly. You could sprinkle some mini chocolate chips on here too or some sea salt! Cover with plastic wrap or foil and let cool for an hour before cutting.
To cut them I use a sharp knife, I sometimes coat the knife in cooking spray to help them easily cut through the gooey marshmallow.
I also find it easier to remove the rice Krispy block out of the pan and put it on a cutting board then cut the bars. Some people like to line the pan with parchment paper for easy removal but I find it easy to remove the one large piece and cut it.
They're chock a block full of delicious chocolate flavor, they are soft, gooey, and downright scrumptious! Please make sure you store them in an airtight container so they stay as fresh as possible!
If you love rice krispies check out my peanut butter rice krispies treats recipe too!
How to freeze
Once the chocolate rice Krispies are cooled and cut wrap them individually in plastic wrap then store them in a freezer-safe container for up to one month. You want them "double-wrapped" to help prevent freezer burn and keep the flavor strong.
When you want to serve them let them thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Can you double
You can definitely press the 2X button on the recipe card below to double or triple the ingredients but I would divide the batter between two or three 9X13 pans!
More chocolate recipes
For an easy chocolate treat try my chocolate chip cookie mug cake recipe.
Chocolate and peanut butter go hand in hand and this chocolate peanut butter layer cake is fantastic.
Check out my friends Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Box Cake recipe, this looks amazing!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 6oz Salted Butter
- 16oz Mini Marshmallows, divided
- ⅓ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 ¼ cup Chocolate Chips
- 8.5oz (8 Cups) Cocoa Rice Krispies
- Place 10oz marshmallows in a large bowl and leave the rest in the bag and your Cocoa Rice Krispies in another large bowl set aside. Grease a 9X13 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large pot over medium heat add the butter and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently until just melted. Add the 10oz of marshmallows to butter, stirring until melted.
- Once the majority of your marshmallows have melted add your chocolate chips and cocoa powder. Mix until fully melted then add the cocoa rice cereal and remaining marshmallows.
- Continue mixing until every rice cereal is coated, you will still have chunks of marshmallows- thanks to the ones you just added. Pour into the prepared pan. And using a spatula press down evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool for an hour before cutting.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cool Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cocoa rice krispy treats, chocolate rice krispies recipes
You may also like