Salted Caramel Red Velvet Cupcakes are the perfect treat for your next party. The whipped cream cheese frosting is irresistible with mini chocolate chips and my homemade salted caramel really takes these cupcakes to the next level.
INDULGENT is the word for these cupcakes. They are OVER the top. Totally not on the diet plan. But let’s be honest here, screw the diet plan and make these cupcakes. Probably one of my all time favorite cupcakes. Starts off with a box so the recipe is nice and easy.
So yesterday I spent the day shopping in Sydney and had two great surprises.
First off there is a LADUREE in Sydney!! How I didn’t know about this is beyond me!! But boy am I happy we stumbled upon it. I ordered a box of course, even though I was full to the brim with Thai Food & Max Brenner. I ordered 2 Salted Caramel, Vanilla, Coffee, Coffee Chocolate, Apple, Lemon & Praline. I haven’t eaten any yet because it’s not even 7am and I’ve already had a few Crunchie Chocolate Balls. Chocoalte is my weakness what can I say.
Anyways back to my second surprise. My sister and I were at Max Brenner (Surprise, Surprise) and we spotted Giulianna Rancic. Being E News avid watchers we were excited. Living in So Cal we often see celebrites but never go up to them. But we were on the esclator behind Giuliana so I said hi and she asked me how I was! She totally looks the same in person as she does on TV.
Salted Caramel Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 box Red Velvet cake mix
- 4 large eggs, at room temp.
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temp.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Homemade Salted Caramel or store bought salted caramel
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine cake mix, eggs, greek yogurt, milk and oil until fully combined- but do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips then pour batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3rds full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat cream cheese for two minutes. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Switch to whisk attachment and on medium speed slowly pour in cold cream after all added whisk on high for 2 minutes. Pour into a piping bag and swirl on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Drizzle salted caramel on top of cupcakes and top with mini chocolate chips if desired.Store in fridge
Maple Apple Bread is chock full of apple chunks, lovely spices a moist crumb and a thick maple glaze.
Happy Monday!! What a great week, I will be spending my week around The Great Barrier Reef and of course hitting up Max Brenner when at all possible! Which is any spare moment I have, whilst I am here in OZ. Speaking of Max I was so disappointed when I visited Max Brenner in NYC and Las Vegas both restaurants were no where near the amazingess that exists in Australia. Dunno why but honestly no where near as good.
I ordered the banana crepes with pralines, vanilla ice cream and tons of melted chocolate and an Italian Thick Hot Chocolate. If you follow me on Instagram you know I am eating my way through Australia, but I do that wherever I am. I love food, what can I say?!
And that statement holds true for this bread. When shooting it my sister came up and took a slice, then I took a break to eat a slice then my mom came up to take a slice. This bread went quick. It was something that I did NOT share with work or other people. Because I was too obsessed, I wanted it all for myself #greedypig
But at least I am sharing it here…
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulate sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 all spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2/3 milk
- 1/3 oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large apples, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 tbsp butter, at room temp.
- 1/4 cup oats
- Pinch cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 heaping cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 375F and heavily grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, quick oats,sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, greek yogurt, milk, oil and vanilla. Slowly mix in dry ingredients, just until no flour streaks remain. Fold in apple chunks.
- To make topping in a medium bowl mix flour, brown sugar, butter, oats, pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Fill loaf pan with batter and sprinkle crumble topping on. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl mix together powdered sugar, maple syrup, maple extract and hot water. If too think add a tsp of water at a time to reach desired consistency. Drizzle on top of bread, let sit for 20 minutes before slicing so glaze can set.
This Vanilla Bean Cheesecake is irresistible, a little time and effort make this stunning cheesecake one that you will be proud to serve!
Why is cheesecake so freaking good?! And why was I so lucky to make this gorgeous cheesecake, that no one in my house could resist by the way. I seriously out did myself, well at least I thought so. When this cheesecake was in my fridge I couldn’t wait to get home, knowing it was waiting for me. Seriously THAT GOOD.
There was tons of vanilla beans in the cheesecake AND the crust. I won’t lie I made my crust a little too wet- I tend to have a heavy hand when I am adding butter to things- not my best quality. But I have adjusted the recipe accordingly. Not that a wetter crust was a bad thing in my eyes.
I also added some fresh lemon zest to the batter to give it a little something extra. You know like Elle Woods does in legally blonde. She spray perfume on her notes, I mean seriously thats amazing.
You know what else is amazing? Hair perfume. Yes, it’s a thing. I didn’t know either until recently and I just HAD TO HAVE IT!
I fell naughty when I use it because it is such an unnecessary purchase, but it was starring at me, I needed it. And it is in such a cute little bottle and did I mention its Viktor Rolf Flower Bomb, one of my all time favvvvvvvv perfumes.
When I made the cheesecake I baked it in the afternoon, once it was baked- just a big jiggly in the middle, I turned the oven off but let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 1 hour. Then I took the cheesecake out and wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge over night. If you are impatient like me make some cookies as well that day so you can control yourself from touching the cheesecake. TRUST ME on this one, it is worth the wait. And SUCH a show stopper dessert. Can’t wait to make another cheesecake!!
And the strawberry sauce with the creamy dreamy cheesecake?! I wish I had a slice right now!!!
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake with Strawberry Sauce
- 1 12 oz package Golden Oreos, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 vanilla bean pod, scarped
- 2 lbs cream cheese, completely softened to room temp.
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 3 vanilla bean pods, scraped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, at room temp.
- 2 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl combine Golden Oreos butter and vanilla beans. Press into bottom and slightly up upsides of prepared pan. Place in fridge while you make the cheesecake.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat cream cheese for 3 minutes on medium to high speed. Add granulated sugar and beat for another 3 minutes. Add in heavy cream, sour cream, vanilla beans, lemon zest and vanilla extract- mixing until fully combined. Add in eggs one at a time. You should have a creamy batter with no lumps. Pour into prepared pan. Place 9 inch springform pan in a 10 inch cake pan- place cake pan in roasting pan and fill roasting pan with hot water half way up the sides of the cake pan. This prevents ANY water from getting in the cheesecake and you don't have to wrap everything with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes, the middle of the cheesecake should jiggle just a little bit. Turn oven off and let cool in oven for 1 hour then take out of roasting pan and wrap with plastic wrap. Let sit in fridge over night.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat cook strawberries and granulated sugar. In a small bowl mix lemon juice and cornstarch together then pour into saucepan. Mix everything together and using a masher help break strawberries up, after 5 minutes of cooking take off of heat and pour into a food processor. Process strawberries until liquid. Pour sauce in a clean bowl to chill overnight in the fridge.
- The next day take the cheesecake out of the fridge and using a hot clean knife cut slices of cheesecake, pour a few tablespoons or however much you like on top of each slice of cheesecake.
**Cheesecake is best served after it has sat at room temperature for 30 minutes**
Recipe Adapted From All Recipes
Lemon Creme Brûlée is perfect for springtime, make this easy dessert ahead of time and wow your guests as you serve it up in minutes!
I leave for Australia in a few weeks, we are off to Sydney then to the Whitsunday’s/ Great Barrier Reef then back to Sydney then to Hunter Valley and then back to Sydney then back home. I cannot wait, I am in dire need of a holiday.
I am also in dire need of a new carry on, I found one that I love but the wheels are not 360 and having 360 wheels makes all the difference, in my mind anyways. So I am looking again.
I also like totally need a new wardrobe to take. You cannot go on holibobs and not have new clothes, that is like so totally wrong!
Lucky for me Nordstroms is having triple points next week so I am going shopping baby. I really want some new Nike walking shoes, preferably black and white. I also think I am going to get the Ipad Air- I have been wanting one but always convince myself I don’t need it… But now I think I do need it
What are your travel essentials??
A few weeks ago I made my first ever Creme Brûlée, White Chocolate Creme Brûlée to be exact. And my life was changed forever. Seriously SOOOOOOO easy but such a show stopper!! I quickly became obsessed and to mention I was finally using my kitchen torch I had sitting in the cupboard for 3 years. Yes, I know it’s embarrassing.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Zest of one large lemon
- Juice of one large lemon
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Blow Torch
- Preheat oven to 325F and get a large roasting pan and 6 ramekins out and ready to use.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat mix the heavy cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract and vanilla extract.. Let cook until boiling, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine sugar and egg yolks. Beat on high until they start to turn a paler yellow color. Then, slowly add the cream in small increments continually stirring. Once fully incorporated pour cream evenly into ramekins. Place ramekins in a large roasting pan and then fill the pan with water until about halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 40-50 minutes, you want the middle to be set but still have a little give, not super giggly. Take the ramekins out of the water bath and let cool for 20 minutes then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 4 days.
- Right before serving sprinkle 2 tsp of the sugar on top of each creme brûlée and using a kitchen torch burn the sugar.
* I often make Creme Brulee the day before I want to serve it, then right before serving I just take the ramekin out of the fridge sprinkle on some sugar and torch it.
Happy St. Paddy’s Day!! I can’t wait for it to be Tuesday already. Well really I cannot wait for Thursday cuz I am taking the day off. Paddy’s is a HUGE BUSY day at work for me, working a British Pub all the “Irish” people come out of the woodwork for a grand ol time! We don’t serve any green beer we stick to the traditional real stuff,- Corned Beef & Cabbage, Irish Stew, Bailey’s, Tullamore Dew.. you know the real stuff.
I have been baking a lot of rich desserts lately while also trying to eat a bit healthier and workout more. I have been doing pilates and walking which seems to help me. But the other day I made Lemon Creme Brulee & Vanilla Bean Cheesecake so naturally I needed something to break up the creamy dreamy richness. Light pesto chicken salad for lunch.
I could not have dreamed this to be better. I seriously fell in love.
I even ate this on romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread because it was that AWESOME! And I would rather add parmesan cheese then sandwich bread. So this is new favorite lunch, I’ve already had it three times since I made the first batch. Obsessive much? I know.
Healthy Pesto Chicken Salad
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pesto, homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup baby tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Romain lettuce leaves or any kind of bread
- In a frying pan over medium heat place 3 tbsp olive oil add garlic and chicken breast, season with salt and pepper, cook until no pink remains. Take off of heat and shred chicken. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to cool off quickly. Scoop garlic out of olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine shredded chicken, garlic, greek yogurt, pesto, baby tomatoes, spinach and parmesan cheese. Mix until just combined, no white streaks remain. Cover and let marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Serve on romaine lettuce leaves or bread.
Based on the Nutty Irishman Cocktail this no bake pie is filled with Bailey’s Irish Cream, Frangelico and of course we needed chocolate! This no bake pie is perfect for your next event!
I love pie, I didn’t grow up with much pie but when I did have pie it was often Cherry Pie with Custard. But I think I’ve had my fair share of Cherry Pie because once I get past the nostalgic thought I shake my head thinking Noooo not cherry pie!!
What I do love though is pies that are made with an Oreo Crust and chocolate! Because lezzzz be honest here I can’t get enough chocolate in my life. And if you are satisfied with the amount of chocolate in your life, you are lying. Okay maybe you’re not and maybe I have a slight addiction to chocolate. Shhh don’t tell anyone.
Anyways I also have a slight addiction to Baileys Irish Cream, especially in a Nutty Irishman drink. Baileys+ Frangelico= THE BEST DRINK EVER! I always have a few on St. Paddy’s cuz, well, they are bomb.
Last year I made a Bailey’s No Bake Pie but this year I just to take it up a notch and base the pie off of my favorite drink and add in some chocolate. Cuz, well, we already went over my addiction.
Make this pie Sunday night, let it sit in the fridge set up all beautifully and then Monday make some chocolate curls and serve!! Or you could make it easier and sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top. Either way, make it.
Oh and I hope you like booze. Cuz this pie is a boozy pie, tots perfect for St. Paddy’s!!
Make sure to check out all the other bloggers celebrating not only Pi Day but also Julie‘s 1 year countdown to her wedding!! I be this year will fly by for Julie!!!
Nutty Irishman Pie (No Bake)
- 28 Oreo Cookies ( 2 rows)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
- 3 tbsp Frangelico
- 1 good quality chocolate bar, frozen
- In a food processor blend Oreo cookies until crushed to a fine crumb. Pour into a bowl and mix in 1/2 stick melted butter. Press into a 9 inch pie dish. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- In a bowl on top of a saucepan or double broiler melt the chocolate. You want the saucepan to have about 1 inch of water and the bowl to sit on top of saucepan- as in not touching the water. Melt the chocolate and watch carefully, as chocolate burns easily. Once completely melted and smooth set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat cream cheese for 2 minutes. Scoop into a clean bowl. In the same mixing bowl whip the heavy cream and first 1/2 cup Bailey's until stiff peaks form. Once whipped cream is formed fold in cream cheese, chocolate and remaining 1/4 cup of Bailey's Irish Cream and Frangelico. Pour into prepared pie dish. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or over night. Using a vegetable peeler take a chocolate bar that has been frozen peel curls of chocolate to put on top of pie Or use this tutorial for chocolate curls or sprinkle on mini chocolate chips.
You can see all the amazing pie recipes being shared today by clicking the images below.
Breakfast is about the only meal of the day I can usually control myself to eat something “healthy” so I often avoid going out for pancakes, or making monkey bread or cinnamon rolls. But every so often a girls got to get down and durrrty with some homemade dough. Nothing in the world tastes as good as homemade bread. I seriously adore homemade bread. I just bough a french baguette pan so stay tuned!
Anyways it was Friday night so naturally I decided I should make some overnight rolls to bring into work on Saturday morning. I absolutely love these cinnamon rolls but I wanted something different. So strawberry rolls it was.
I won’t lie this recipe is time consuming, letting the dough rise, but honestly if you have some patience it is WELL WORTH THE WAIT! And can I say how great it is to spend time the night before so in the morning you just pop these babies into the oven, that’s my kind of homemade breakfast!!
I took these to work and they went QUICK! Some people asked for two! The strawberries, brown sugar and corn starch cooked up nicely and made a delicious almost jam like filling. And you could just make a sweet glaze to go on top but I wanted the whole cream cheese frosting!! I mean come on, fresh-baked rolls and cream cheese frosting?! If you don’t love that we can’t be friends, just kidding! We can, but I will try to convince you
- 1 package instant dry yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp warm water (110F-115F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 1/2 tsp tsp nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 - 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temp.
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, butter, milk powder, salt and two cups of flour. Mix until smooth. Slowly add in remaining flour to form a soft (not super sticky) dough. If using a dough hook, switch out the mixer hook and knead for 5-6 minutes in the electric mixer. I take the dough out of the mixer every minute or so and knead by hand. If not using a dough hook put the dough on a floured work surface and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200F and then turn oven OFF. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside.Place a clean kitchen towel on top of bowl and place bowl in warm but not on oven.
- Check dough after an hour it should have doubled in size, punch down. And place on a floured work surface. roll dough into a 16inchX 12inch rectangle. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Take the frozen strawberries directly out of the freezer and slice into small chunks, (small enough that when you roll the dough you can still keep a tight roll). In a medium bowl mix together the strawberry chunks, corn starch and brown sugar.
- Spread the butter on top of dough then sprinkle the strawberry mixture evenly over the whole rectangle of dough. Roll the dough as tightly as possible. Then using a very sharp knife slice the dough into 12 even rolls. Place rolls into prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge over night or let rise until doubled in size (30 ish minutes) and bake.
- When you wake up take strawberry rolls out of fridge and set on counter to rise/thaw for 45 ish minutes. Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While baking beat cream cheese for 2 minutes in large bowl. Add butter and beat for another 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla extract, heavy cream and powdered sugar. Beat all together for 4 minutes. Slather on top of cinnamon rolls.
- Once rolls are baked, let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before slathering cream cheese frosting on top.