Sweet, soft, and full of orange flavor this orange loaf cake is perfect for an afternoon treat. This loaf cake is made simple and fast then topped with a gorgeous orange glaze.
One of the most popular recipes on my website is my Raspberry Lemon Loaf Cake. For good reason, it's delicious. Recently I realized that I don't have many orange recipes. I love lemon and have numerous lemon recipes, but I also love orange so I knew I had to rectify that.
Here is a gorgeous orange-infused loaf cake. The loaf cake is soft, tender, and full of orange flavor. My sister looooved this one. And I can't blame her!! It is sooo good!
Sisters know what's best for you, don't they ?! 🙂
I won't tell you how many times I snacked on this delicious cake. Not because I don't want to, but because I can't remember!! LOL talk about addicting!!
I enjoy this for breakfast when I am feeling cheeky, or for an afternoon snack, or midnight treat! Perfect for a cup of tea.
Let's get to the recipe.
🎂What ingredients do you need
- All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- Unsalted Butter, at room temp.
- Large Eggs, at room temp.
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
- Sour Cream
Next time, try making my easy lemon loaf cake recipe.
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
🍊 What kind of oranges should I use
When picking an orange for this recipe I like to use Navel Oranges. You want to find ones that are as thin-skinned as possible as well as one that smells fragrant. You are using the zest of the orange in the cake and glaze so make sure the orange is not blemished or bruised.
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
In a bowl of an electric mixer combine sugar and butter for 3-4 minutes, so it's nice and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, waiting until each is fully combined.
In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl mix in orange zest and juice, sour cream, and buttermilk.
Alternate by folding in the dry ingredients then wet to the butter mixture.
This zester is the one I use and it makes zesting citrus feel like butter, it is so easy!!
⏲️ How long does an orange loaf cake bake for?
Bake the orange cake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before starting glaze.
How do you make an orange glaze
- Powdered Sugar/ Confectioners Sugar, sifted
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
While the orange loaf cake is cooling you can prepare the glaze.
To ensure no chunks of sugar make sure to sift the powdered sugar into a clean bowl. Add the orange juice and orange zest. Whisk to combine. You are welcome to add a little more juice or sugar to create a thicker or runnier glaze.
Drizzle the orange glaze on top of the orange cake when it is completely cool.
Can you make this loaf cake ahead of time
I would suggest making the cake only one day ahead of time. It is still good within 3 days but loses its freshness after day two.
More citrus recipes to enjoy
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 188 grams (1 ½ cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 266 grams (1 ⅓ cup) Granulated Sugar
- 6oz (¾ Cup) Unsalted Butter, at room temp.
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 3 Tablespoon Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 heaping Tablespoon Orange Zest
- 2oz (¼ cup) Buttermilk
- 2oz (¼ cup) Sour Cream
- 188 grams (1 ½ cup) powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer combine sugar and butter for 3-4 minutes, so it's nice and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, waiting until each is fully combined.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix in orange zest and juice, sour cream, and buttermilk.
- Alternate by folding in the dry ingredients then wet to the butter mixture.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before starting glaze.
- While the cake is cooling prepare orange glaze. In a bowl combine powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Drizzle on top of the cake when it is completely cool. Store cake in an airtight container, store in the fridge to last longer.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 55
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: orange cake, orange bread, orange loaf