Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe starts off with nutty and caramelized brown butter, are filled with loads of milk & dark chocolate chunks and chips and are the perfect chewy, soft if you want or crunchy edges if you want cookie!
This is probably my most worked on recipe, well this and some chewy brownies finally ready for posting and a yellow cake and chocolate cake. I have My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe that I posted way back in 2014, these cookies are delicious with the help of browning the butter, vanilla pudding mix and an extra yolk.
The Birth of The Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe?
No offense to pudding mix but I wanted a cookie without pudding mix. I also have posted a recipe for Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies back in 2013. Those are delicious. But they weren’t right. I also wanted a recipe not having 14 tbsp of butter I wanted an even 8 or 16 so you could use a full stick. I am always finding little bits of a stick of butter in my fridge, I don’t need any more clutter in my life!
So, How Do I Make This Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe?
Back to the recipe, while just browning the butter was fabulous and would create a beautiful cookie, the cookies baked inconsistently. Meaning some were perfect and some spread and some stayed to tall and didn’t spread enough.
Well naturally when you are cooking the butter some of the liquid will evaporate, so I needed more liquid. Instead of adding more butter I decided to add some water, after playing around with a few recipes it worked out that 1oz was perfect. Just the trick to create more consistent cookies.
Like many other CCC recipes, I chill the dough, I personally like to pre-scoop the dough as soon as I make it, that way the dough is chilled more consistently than a big ol’ ball of dough. I use this container, I line it with parchment on the bottom scoop the dough then put another layer of parchment and scoop the next layer. It works perfectly for me!
Another thing I do when baking cookies is I use all kinds of chocolate. Chocolate chips are good but they don’t create the oozy chocolate you get from chunks. I also use a mixture of milk, dark and semi-sweet chocolate. And I add extra chocolate once the cookies are scooped to create a “pretty cookie.”
And when I am feeling fancy I add some fleur de sel on top. And it goes without saying that a big ‘ol scoop of ice cream with a warm cookie is absolutely necessary.
For chocolate chip cookie lovers you must try my chocolate chip cookie cake recipe next!
Can I double this recipe?
This Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies recipe can easily be doubled, I haven’t tripled because my KitchenAid couldn’t handle it. I made 300 of these cookies for my sisters wedding a couple of weeks ago. We welcomed guests with cookies and finished the night with another round of cookies!
These cookies bake up perfect in mini, medium and large cookies! The best! Because sometimes when you’re making a batch of cookies for friends you need an extra large one for yourself 😉
Honestly, how beautiful is my sister and her new family !!!
Anyways these cookies were perfect. I am so happy with them, and I love them so much. I hope you do, please let me know if you try my Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe! Depending on which cookie, soft or crunchy, I bake shorter or longer.
To create a soft cookie bake until the cookies are set up but still look a little wet in the center, and to create a crunchy edge cookie then bake a little longer.
Please let me know if you try this Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe!Print
Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies start off with nutty and caramelized brown butter, are filled with loads of milk & dark chocolate chunks and chips and are the perfect chewy, soft if you want or crunch edges if you want cookie! *Total Time includes chilling time.
- 325 Grams (2.5 Cups)All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 4oz(1/2 Cup/ 1 Stick) Butter, browned
- 4oz (1/2 Cup/ 1 Stick) Butter, cold or room temp.
- 1oz Water
- 150 Grams (3/4 Cup) Brown Sugar
- 100 Grams (1/2 Cup) White Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, at room temp.
- 1 Large Egg Yolk, at room temp.
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 8oz Mixed Chocolate Chips/ Chunks (milk, dark or semisweet)
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch, set aside.
- In a stand mixer add the cold butter and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan add 4oz of butter, cook on medium heat mixing constantly. If you do not mix the butter can burn easily. The butter will become foamy and soon after you will smell a nutty aroma and begin to see brown flecks, that’s when you know the butter is done. Then pour the butter on top of cold butter in the mixer. Let sit for 2 minutes to melt the other butter.
- Add water and both sugars and mix until combined, add egg and yolk and mix on medium for 1 minute. Add vanilla and mix for 30 more seconds. Add in flour mixture, mixing until just combined then fold in chocolate.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 Tablespoon size) scoop cookies into a plastic container or tray that you will cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 2 hours or up to 4 days, also you can chill dough then freeze for up to 1 month.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat liner, place cookies 2 inches apart, for medium sized cookies I can fit 12 on a tray. If you want very soft cookies bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies have just lightly browned on edges but still a little wet on top if you want cookies with a bit more crispy edges bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown all over. Let cool on tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
*For mini cookies use a 2 teaspoon cookie scoop and bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown just around the edges.
Keywords: cookies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chunk, chocolate bar cookies, dessert cookies, cookie recipe, brown butter cookies, brown butter recipes, snack, chewy cookies, chill cookie dough,