Thick, soft, and chewy these M&M cookies are the perfect afternoon treat. You won't be able to eat just one! Step-by-step photos help you bake this delicious cookie recipe.
There is something about M&M cookies that just makes me smile. They just look like happy cookies. They make me think of being a kid and getting a colorful cookie at a school.
These cookies are perfectly chewy, thick and have a slightly crisp exterior! Just the way I like them!
Let's get to the recipe.
- Butter. We are going to melt the butter so no need to let it sit out to soften to room temperature, woo hoo!
- Sugar. Both granulated/ caster sugar and light brown sugar.
- Eggs. Make sure they are at room temperature, so they can evenly combine with the creamed butter and sugar.
- Vanilla Extract. Use the real stuff!
- Flour. All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- Baking Soda. This chemical leavening agent makes the cookie rise and spread properly.
- Salt. Don't skip it, this helps all the flavor profile.
- Cornstarch. Also known as cornflour, this helps tenderize the cookies for a soft crumb.
- Chocolate chips. You could use chunks too. I prefer Callebaut Chocolate Callets. Semi-sweet or milk chocolate are my faves!
- M&M's. The star of the show! Use festive M&M's for holiday-inspired cookies! Next time, try my M&M Brownies.
Check out this post on my Cookie Baking Tips
How to make m&m cookies
Start the cookie recipe by whisking all the dry ingredients in a large bowl together.
In a large bowl or bowl of an electric stand mixer combine both sugars and the melted butter.
Next, add the vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk.
Whisk everything together for a couple of minutes, the color of the batter will lighten.
Add the dry ingredients and gently fold them into the wet ingredients.
Next, add the chocolate chips and M&Ms
Mix until just combined. Overmixing activates the gluten, creating a tougher cookie.
The dough needs to chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Before I chill the dough I like to scoop my cookie dough now and place it in a parchment-lined plastic container. Use a medium-size cookie scoop or scoop the dough into 1.5 tablespoon size balls.
When you are ready to bake preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner.
Place the cookies at least 2 inches apart on the baking tray. Bake the cookies for 8-11 minutes, or until the cookies are just set and turning golden brown.
If the cookie dough chills for longer than 30 minutes it will need to sit on the counter for 30 minutes before baking as the dough balls can be very cold and will not spread properly.
Can you freeze the cookies
Once you've baked the cookies allow them to cool completely then place in an air-tight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to eat place cookies on the counter to thaw for an hour.
You can also freeze the unbaked cookie dough. To do so I scoop the cookie dough and place it on a parchment-lined sheet pan or large plate to freeze, once they are frozen (about an hour or two) place the dough balls into an air-tight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake the cookies follow normal instructions but add a minute or two onto the bake time. The cookies may not spread as much from frozen, in that case when the cookies come out of the oven I bang the tray on the counter to encourage the cookies to spread.
Check out this post on my Cookie Baking Tips
More cookie recipe
If you love cookies and brownies you've got to try my brookies recipe.
For times when you want cookies asap and you don't want to scoop then make my chocolate chip cookie bars.
Chocolate lovers will adore these double chocolate cookies.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 8oz (2 Sticks/ 1 Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 150 grams (¾ Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg + 1 Large Yolk, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 375 grams (3 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 170 grams (1 Cup) Chocolate chips or chunks
- 170 grams (1 Cup) M&M's
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with handheld electric mixer beat the buter and sugars together. Add in the egg, yolk, and vanilla and mix for a couple of minutes, the mixture will lighten in color eventually.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients then add the chocolate chips and M&M's. The dough needs to chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.* I like to scoop my cookie dough now and place it in a parchment-lined plastic container. Scoop cookie dough with a medium-size cookie scoop or into 1.5 tablespoon size balls.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Place cookies the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-11 minutes, or until the cookies are just set and turning golden brown.
*If dough chills for longer than 30 minutes it will need to sit on the counter for 30 minutes before baking as they dough balls can be very cold and will not spread properly.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 11
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: m&m cookies, chewy m&m cookie, m&m cookie recipe