You will love this S'mores bars recipe. A graham cracker cookie crust layered with chocolate bars and marshmallow Creme topped with more graham cracker crust! Step-by-step photos help you bake these delicious dessert bars! Try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting. They are scrumptious!!!!!
First of all, can we please all enjoy those glorious layers?! I mean hello come to mama!!
These bars have been a hit in my family for almost ten years, my sister still goes nuts for them. So much so that she doesn't like me sharing them! LOL I used milk chocolate but if you prefer dark chocolate would be great too, as I've gotten older I love my dark chocolate just as much as milk chocolate, never thought I'd see the day!
Let's get to the S'mores Bars.
For these delicious dessert bars you'll need a few things:
- Butter. I use unsalted butter. The butter will be creamed with the sugar so you are going to need to soften to room temperature.
- Sugar. Light Brown Sugar Granulated Sugar
- Egg. Your egg will need to be at room temperature to evenly incorporate into the butter and sugar. To do this quickly place the egg, uncracked, in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes before you use it.
- Vanilla Extract. Make sure you use the real stuff!!
- Flour. Just good old all-purpose flour also known as plain flour.
- Graham Crackers. You can crush your own graham crackers or some stores sell graham cracker crumbs.
- Baking Powder. This will give the bars some lift!
- Salt. Don't forget it these are sweet bars so we need some salt!
- Chocolate Bars. I like to use Cadbury Dairymilk Bars you could also use extra-large Hershey bars!
- Marshmallow Creme. Don't be confused this is. not just melted marshmallows. You need marshmallow creme.
Make sure you preheat oven to 350°F/180C and line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil so it overhangs on the side. Doing this will help you pull them out after baking. Lightly grease the foil with non-stick spray then set the pan aside while you prepare the cookie layer.
Start by whisking the dry ingredients together. In a bowl mix together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt.
Make sure the graham crackers are fully incorporated into the rest!
I like to use the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment but you could also use a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer. Cream together butter and sugar until light.
Make sure to scrape down the bowl to ensure everything is evenly combined.
Next beat in egg and vanilla, again scrape the sides of the bowl!
Add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and mix at a low speed until combined.
Divide cookie dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan.
Place chocolate bars over dough, depending on the size of your bars you might need 2-4, you can break the bars up as seen in the photo below to fit the pan size.
Now for the marshmallow creme. I find an angled spatula works best to spread the creme into an even layer. You could get crazy and drizzle peanut butter on top for a fun twist!
Place the remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff. I find the easiest way is to take a ball of dough and smash it between your hands to kind of make a flatter piece then lay each piece on top to fully cover the marshmallow.
Bake the bars for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned.
Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars. Trust me otherwise it will be a gooey mess!!
There you have it, the perfect s'mores cookie bars!
More S'mores recipes
A favorite of my readers is my S'mores Brownie recipe.
This S'mores cake from my friend Bernice looks incredible, can't wait to try it!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 4oz (½ Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 50 grams (¼ Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 166 grams (1 ⅓ Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 100 grams (¾ Cup) Graham Cracker Crumbs, finely crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 Chocolate Bars
- 7oz Marshmallow Fluff/ Creme (Not melted marshmallows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180C. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil so it overhangs on the side (this will help you pull them out after baking) lightly grease the foil with non-stick spray then set the pan aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the cream together butter and sugar until light. Make sure to scrape down the bowl to ensure everything is evenly combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and mix at a low speed until combined.
- Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. I used three Cadbury Dairy Milk bars, two whole and I broke the third into pieces to cover the remaining sides. You just want to get it to fit in a single layer no more than ¼ inch thick. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff, I find an angled spatula works best. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff. I find the easiest way is to take a ball of dough and smash it between your hands to kind of make a flatter piece then lay each piece on top to fully cover the marshmallow.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: s'mores recipes, chocolate marshmallow bars
This post was originally published on January 20, 2012 as of June 25, 2020 the photos and text have been updated!