Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake #chocolateparty
Driving home from work today I found myself day dreaming of cake. Something I often do. Food obsessed much? Anyways I started dreaming of strawberries. I bought a large pack of strawberries from costco the other day and the strawberries are sooo good!
When I grew up we always had strawberries. My mom would cut them up and sprinkle a little sugar on top and store them in the fridge. I often found myself searching for the strawberry with the most sugar granules on. I know, I know, strawberries are sweet on there on but you all must know by now I have a strange addiction to sugar!
Back to these strawberries from Costco- they are so sweet. I couldn’t stop eating them. Literally. So I decided to make a cake as well. I was craving fresh whipped cream and chocolate covered strawberries so I combined the ideas.
The fresh cream is fabulous alongside the rich chocolate cake and juicy strawberries.
These cake is part of the Chocolate Party hosted by Roxanas Home Baking. I joined the party in February and I have loved each month. Be sure to check out Roxanas Chocolate Strawberry Roll and see all of the other bloggers involved in the chocolate party!
Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake layered with Fresh Whipped Cream and Strawberries topped with a Chocolate Ganache and More Fresh Strawberries. Make this cake even easier and use a chocolate cake mix.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs, at room temp.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 sour cream
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 regular sized container strawberries, cleaned and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9 inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, oil, milk and sour cream mix until fully combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cakes are cool make ganache. In a small saucepan heat heavy cream for 4-6 minutes. In a medium sized bowl pour in chocolate chips and pour heavy cream on top of chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes then stir until completely combined. The hot cream will melt the chocolate. Once combined set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment mix together powdered sugar and heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- On a serving platter/cake plate place the first layer of chocolate cake, spread with all whipped cream, place a layer of strawberries on top of whipped cream place second chocolate cake layer and drizzle top with chocolate ganache. Place fresh strawberries on top. Store in fridge.
Mmm the last bite..