Rich & moist chocolate cake is filled with juicy strawberries, fresh whipped cream and loads of chocolate ganache you will love this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake! Perfect for a special birthday cake or party! Make this cake even easier and use a chocolate cake mix.
- 400 Grams (2 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 250 Grams (2 cups) 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 90 Grams (3/4 cup) Dutch-process Cocoa powder (current fave: Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4oz (1/2 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 8oz (1 cup) Whole Milk or Buttermilk, at room temp.
- 8oz(1 cup) Hot Coffee (I put 1 tbsp of instant coffee and pour hot water on top, let sit for 1 minute)
- 16oz Strawberries, all sliced but 5 saved for the top decoration
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 8oz (2/3 cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 9oz Chocolate Finely Chopped/ Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Whipped Cream & Assembly
- 24oz (3 cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Dry Milk Powder
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9 inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, vanilla, oil, and milk mix until fully combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated. Add in hot coffee, the mixture will be very thin. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- In a bowl sprinkle some sugar on top of the sliced berries, mix it all together and let them sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream either in a saucepan or a microwave safe bowl. Don't let the cream boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl pour in chocolate pieces and pour heavy cream on top of chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir until completely combined and glossy.
Whipped Cream & Assembly
- In a bowl of an electric mixer whisk heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and dry milk powder until stiff peaks form. Set in the fridge while preparing the cake.
- Cut each cake layer in half, to create 4 layers. Place one piece on cake plate/serving dish then place a small spoonful of chocolate ganache on top and spread it evenly over the whole cake layer. Next place a 1/3 of the whipped cream and strawberry slices. Making sure to keep the layers as flat as possible. Repeat until final cake layer is on top. Place chocolate ganache on top of final cake layer, let it drizzle down the sides of cake. Store cake in the fridge, best eaten day of assembly.
*Cake can be baked, wrapped in plastic wrap tightly and frozen for up to a month before serving. *If you are worried you have overbaked the cake make a simple syrup to brush on each layer. In a small pot simmer together 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water for 10 minutes. Use a pastry brush to brush the simple syrup on top of all layers.
Keywords: chocolate cake recipe, chocolate birthday cake, strawberries & cream chocolate cake