Mini Apple Monkey Bread
Easy homemade monkey bread is filled with tons of apples and cinnamon sugar
I LOVE LOVE LOVE monkey bread, like any excuse to make it I do. I especially love cream cheese stuffed monkey bread, its the bomb! Literally my favorite. I have made it many a times. Last time my nan was here from England (she will be here Dec 5 for two months woo hoo) on her last day she requested monkey bread, one of my best friends requests it on her birthday each year and friends at work request it for early morning meetings or christmas decorating mornings! Honestly SOOOOO good.
But naturally with the season I have become a tad bit obsessed with baking with apples, I freaking L_O_V_E cooked apples, like the Miley Cyrus song “And we can’t stop, And we won’t stop” I literally WILL NOT STOP cooking with apples. But really that is a good things right, how does that saying go? An apple a day, keeps the doctor away? 😉
It was only made sense that I would cook apples in some monkey bread!! I made these about two weeks ago on a beautiful californian autum day, lezzzz be honest here we don’t really have “seasons” her in SO Cal but this day was close to one.
I made the dough and also froze half for later so when I get the craving for cooked apples again I will be able to make these Mini Apple Monkey Bread on the spot!
The dough and apples are baked with a delicious cinnamon sugar kind of thick glaze that I could have drank. Very easily.
Mini Apple Monkey Bread will be made numerous times in my household. I hope you give this delcious breakfast a try!
I also really REALLY loved these cold out of the fridge, I can’t decide which is better hot out of the oven or chilled?! Maybe I should make these again to decide ?;)
Monkey Bread Dough
- 1 package Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (115F)
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tsp milk powder
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour
- 2 medium sized apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter melted
Monkey Bread Dough
- In a large bowl place yeast and warm water to dissolve yeast. Add the milk, milk powder, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups of flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes then add in the remaining 2 cups of flour and mix until a firm dough is made. Knead by hand for 6-8 minutes or knead in electrical kitchen mixer for same time.
- Either place in the refrigerator over night or Turn oven on to 200F, heavily grease a bowl and place kneaded dough into the bowl. Turn oven off and place bowl in the oven with a towel over the top.
- In the morning take the dough out of the fridge and let come to room temp for 30 minutes OR if dough was rising in the oven take it once it is doubled in size about 45 minutes.
- You may use all of the dough to make 24 mini monkey bread muffins or cut the dough in half and freeze the other half for use later. Cut the dough into one inch size pieces, place on a silpat lined cookie sheet and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 350F and grease a muffin pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter. In a medium sized bowl mix together brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon together.
- Take a chunk of dough, dip it in the melted butter then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place three dough chunks inside each muffin, repeat until all dough is used up. Mix apples in remaining sugar mixture and place 2-3 apple slices in between dough. Place muffin pan on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Dough recipe adapted from Taste of Home Baking