Easy homemade monkey bread is filled with tons of apples and cinnamon sugar, individual sizes mean its perfect for your next brunch party! This mini apple monkey bread recipe is perfect for your brunch table!
Monkey Bread Dough
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons (1 package) Yeast ( I use Rapid Rise/ Quick Rise)
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Warm Water (115F/46C)* See note below
- 8oz (1 Cup) Whole or 2% Milk, warmed
- 2 Teaspoons Dry Milk Powder
- 2.6oz (1/3 Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 50 Grams (1/4 Cup) Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 625 Grams (5 Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 100 grams (1/2 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 Cup) Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 3oz (6 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Medium-Sized Apples, peeled and sliced* I like to use Granny Smith
Monkey Bread Dough
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook or large bowl add the yeast and warm water*see note* to dissolve yeast, let it sit for 5 minutes. Add the warmed milk, dry milk powder, melted butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 375 Grams/3 Cups of the flour. Beat on low-medium speed for 3 minutes then add in the remaining flour and mix until a firm dough is made. You can then knead with the dough hook or remove dough from the bowl and place the dough on a lightly floured surface then knead by hand for 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a large lightly oiled bowl and place a tea towel over it.
- Either place in the refrigerator overnight (if doing this then cover in plastic wrap to prevent drying) or turn the oven on to 200F/93C then turn oven off and place the bowl in the oven with a towel over the top. (This is creating a warm environment for the dough to rise)
- In the morning take the dough out of the fridge and let come to room temp for 45 minutes to one hour OR if the dough was rising in the oven take it once it is doubled in size about 45 minutes.
- Cut the dough into one-inch size pieces, place each piece on a Silpat lined cookie sheet, then lightly cover with a towel and let rise another 45 minutes (if you are in a cold environment I would do the oven trick again).You may use all of the dough to make 24 mini monkey bread muffins or cut the dough in half and freeze the other half for use later.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a muffin pan.
- Add melted butter to a small bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together.
- Take a chunk of dough, dip it in the melted butter then roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place three dough pieces inside each muffin, repeat until all dough is used up.
- Mix apples in remaining sugar mixture and place 2-3 apple slices in between dough. Place muffin pan on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before using an angled spatula to gently remove or place a baking sheet on top of the muffin tin and invert the monkey bread muffins. Best eaten right away.
**To ensure you are using the right temperature of water to activate your yeast I highly suggest investing in an instant-read thermometer. I get SOOO much use out of my Thermapen Mk4.
Dough recipe adapted from Taste of Home Baking
Keywords: monkey bread muffins, apple muffin recipe, cinnamon apple breakfast