Pasta is a love of mine. Who the heck doesn’t love pasta?! A crazy person that’s who. Sorry if you are that person, I just don’t understand how you cannot be in love with pasta. A garlic olive oil sauce, a beautiful juicy tomato sauce or a rich cheesey cream sauce…how on earth can you go wrong? I’ll take all of the above!
My favorite Italian restaurant around where I live is Roman Cucina. On Tuesday nights there special is a creamy pesto and I freaking LOVE IT! It is that good. They also have a delicious tiramisu, oh and they have seasonal cheesecakes- lemon, Oreo, cookie dough, pumpkin..oh how I love all of them!
Well last week I made some homemade basil pesto, so easy and delicious, and for dinner I had to make a creamy pesto sauce. The problem was I was craving mac and cheese so I kind of combined the two. Awesome choice, if I do say so myself. I also made a cheesey cream sauce with no heavy cream! I used 2% milk and greek yogurt! I was quite proud of myself because the pasta still tasted rich. ( I am on a #fitlife kick right now, let’s see how long that lasts! LOL)
This is the Basil Pesto Recipe I used in the pastaPrint
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese/ parmsean
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Cook elbow macaroni according to box instructions, set aside.
- In a large skillet cook chicken breasts in a little olive oil over medium heat, cook until no pink remains and chicken breasts are fully cooked.
- Take chicken breasts out of pan and add butter and flour. Whisk flour and butter for two minutes, so the two are fully combined. Mix in salt, pepper and milk once combined let simmer for two minutes. Whisk in cheddar cheese then add pesto and greek yogurt. Mix in chicken and pasta, let cook for two minutes. Serve immediately, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.