Creamy Cheesecake is made with cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and mocha coffee creamer and an Oreo crust. Finished with a drizzle of Candy Cane White Chocolate bars and pipped fresh whipped cream this Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake is a Christmas Dream!
I've been gone from the blogging world for a few weeks now, and I don't really know how that happened. Well, I sort of do. At work we are going into the busy season... THE CHRISTMAS SEASON!! 🙂 Also known as my favorite time of year.
I have also been working out, thus trying to not eat as many sweets. And while I do admire the bloggers who can bake a ton of desserts and not eat any of them I am not one of those people. I must eat everything so I know I LOVE IT. And if I love it, well we know I have no self-control. So basically what I am saying is I have not been baking a ton.
I did bake for my best friends sister's wedding, 250 pieces and I have made a few birthday cakes but I always use my favorite cakes for birthdays, chocolate strawberry or salted caramel chocolate cake. Hey, they are great cakes that I know will turn out amazing.
But last week I made this Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake... and OH MY GAWWWWWSH!!! TO DIE!
Cheesecake has to be my favorite thing to make. I enjoy that it's a process but an easy process kind of like making cinnamon rolls. I like to make both the night before. It's weirdly relaxing. And then the next day you get to devour an amazing product.
Let's get to the recipe.
What are the ingredients for a Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake?
For the crust, you only need two things
- Oreos crushed into a fine crumb.
- Melted butter to help bind the Oreos into a crust.
For the cheesecake filling, it's just my basic cheesecake ingredients plus some chocolate and peppermint flavoring of course!
- Cream Cheese- make sure you buy the brick kind not the whipped cream cheese. Then make sure your cream cheese is completely softened to room temperature. When in doubt let it soften for longer.
- Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, my favorite is Bensdorp Dutch Process. I do believe good quality makes all the difference. Depending on the cocoa powder that you use the cheesecake may look lighter or darker than mine does in the photos.
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Heavy Whipping Cream or Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- Pure Peppermint Extract
- Large Eggs and an extra Egg Yolk at room temperature. It is important for the eggs to be at room temperature so that they evenly incorporate into the rest of the cheesecake mixture. The extra egg yolk helps create an extra creamy, rich texture.
Now you could leave the cheesecake as is but why stop there? I never do!
I like to drizzle melted white chocolate peppermint candy on top. I have used Ghiardhelli Peppermint Pieces or 2 Bars Hersheys Candy Cane Bar. But you could use just melted white chocolate with candy can pieces. Then I pipe fresh whipped cream around the edges and finish it with crushed candy canes.
How do you make a peppermint chocolate cheesecake?
First things first let's start with the crust. You'll need an 8 or 9-inch springform pan and preheat your oven to 350F/180C.
In a bowl mix together crushed Oreos and melted butter. Press the oreo crust into the bottom and slightly up upsides of the springform pan.
Place in the fridge while you make the cheesecake.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the cream cheese for 3 minutes on medium to high speed. To get my cream cheese to room temperature quicker I will cut it into smaller chunks.
Add granulated sugar and beat for another 2 minutes.
Use a sieve to sift the cocoa powder into bowl. It's imperative to sift the cocoa so you do not end up with lumps.
Next, add the sour cream, heavy cream/ creamer, and peppermint extract mixing until fully combined.
Add in eggs one at a time, but do not overmix. If you add to much air you could encourage your cheesecake to crack while baking.
You should have a creamy batter with no lumps. Pour into prepared pan.
Place the 8 or 9-inch springform pan in a 10-inch cake pan- place the cake pan in roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the cake pan. This prevents ANY water from getting in the cheesecake and you don't have to wrap everything with foil.
Bake the cheesecake for approximately 45-55 minutes, until the middle of the cheesecake, should jiggle just a little bit. You can use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature is 145F/63C.
Turn the oven off and prop the door open, let the cheesecake cool in the oven for 1 hour. After an hour let the cheesecake rest on the counter for 1 hour then wrap with plastic wrap. Let cheesecake chill in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.
Onee the cheesecake has set and you would like to transfer to a serving plate using an angled spatula to loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan and gently remove it. Then use the angled spatula to gently remove the crust from the bottom of the pan.
How do you decorate peppermint chocolate cheesecake?
The cheesecake is beautiful on its own but a couple of extra small steps make all the difference.
To keep with the peppermint theme adding a drizzle of white chocolate peppermint candy looks gorgeous and adds extra flavor. If you like cooking with candy canes try my white chocolate candy cane cookies!!
And no cheesecake is complete without a few pipes of fresh whipped cream. Finally, for that little something extra, I sprinkled crushed candy canes on top of the whipped cream.
Can peppermint chocolate cheesecake recipe be made ahead of time?
Totally, I often bake my cheesecakes one to two days in advance. Add the crushed candy canes before serving as the candy canes can kind of melt into the whipped cream dollops.
Can you freeze peppermint chocolate cheesecake?
Make the cheesecake, let it cool completely. Once it has cooled wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly, twice. The cheesecake will last for up to two months in the freezer.
Thaw cheesecake the fridge overnight before serving. I prefer to add the toppings now as opposed to freezing it with the toppings.
Tips & Tricks for Baking a Perfect Cheesecake
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature when in doubt let it sit to warm up longer.
- Bake the cheesecake in a water bath.
- Let the cheesecake rest in the turned-off oven before letting it cool on the counter.
- Ensure the cheesecake has enough time to chill by letting it sit overnight.
- Bake the crust for a few minutes on its own so it sets up properly.
- Don’t overmix the cheesecake batter, too much air will create air bubbles that can cause cracking.
What is the best way to serve my cheesecake with clean slices?
- Let the cheesecake sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- When cutting the cheesecake always have a hot cloth nearby to wipe the knife clean after each cut.
If peppermint is not your thing try my plain chocolate cheesecake recipe.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 150 grams (1 ½ Cups) Oreos, crushed
- 2oz (¼ Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 16oz Cream Cheese, completely softened to room temp.
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 34 grams (⅓ Cup) Unsweetend Cocoa Powder, my favorite is Bensdorp Dutch Process
- 2oz (¼ Cup) Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 2oz (¼ Cup) Heavy Whipping Cream or Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer * (If using creamer reduce peppermint extract to ¼ teaspoon)
- ½ Teaspoon Pure Peppermint Extract
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Large Egg Yolk, at room temperature
- Whipped Cream (homemade or store bought)
- ½ cup Ghiardhelli Peppermint Pieces or 2 Bars Hersheys Candy Cane Bar, Melted
- 3 Mini Candy Canes, crushed
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch springform pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl combine Oreos and melted butter. Press into bottom and slightly up upsides of prepared pan. Place in fridge while you make the cheesecake.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the cream cheese for 3 minutes on medium to high speed. Add granulated sugar and beat for another 2 minutes. Use a sieve to sift cocoa powder into bowl then add sour cream, heavy cream/ creamer, and peppermint extract mixing until fully combined. Add in eggs one at a time, but do not overmix. You should have a creamy batter with no lumps. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place 9-inch springform pan in a 10-inch cake pan- place cake pan in roasting pan and fill roasting pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the cake pan. This prevents ANY water from getting in the cheesecake and you don't have to wrap everything with foil.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the middle of the cheesecake, should jiggle just a little bit. You can use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature is 145F/63C. Turn oven off and prop the door open, let the cheesecake cool in oven for 1 hour. After an hour let the cheesecake rest on the counter for 1 hour then wrap with plastic wrap. Let cheesecake chill in the fridge overnight, or at least 6 hours.
- Use an angled spatula to loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan and gently remove.
- Drizzle melted white chocolate peppermint candy over cheesecake. Pipe whipped cream in dollops around edge of cheesecake and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Store in fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
*Total Time includes Chill Time
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate peppermint recipes, cheesecake with oreo crust