This easy recipe for lemon zucchini cake is made with simple ingredients and whipped up in a loaf pan for easy slicing! Pantry staples and step-by-step photos help you make this delicious snack perfect any time of the day!
A few weeks ago I baked with zucchini for the first time, I developed my recipe for chocolate chunk zucchini bread. It was a hit. My boyfriend would not accept that it was made with zucchini. Mind blown!! That day I also happened to be baking a lemon pound cake recipe. Thit was too plain for him but for me it was delightful.
So I had both zucchini and lemons in my kitchen, it was only natural that the two would marry each other for a gorgeous cake. Next time, try my brown butter zucchini cake or my lemon olive oil cake recipe.
I chose to do a loaf cake for this recipe. Something about a loaf-style cake that makes me feel less guilty about eating it any time of the day- breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, or dessert.
Let's get to the recipe.
🍋What are the ingredients
For this easy cake you will only need a few pantry staples:
- All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- Freshly Grated Lemon Zest ( I use this Microplane zester) adding the zest helps create a really strong lemon flavor
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Shredded Zucchini
Now you could leave the cake as is, it is beautiful. But I always love a good lemon glazed cake so I used these simple ingredients.:
- Powdered Sugar
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice & Lemon Zest
- Heavy Whipping Cream or Full-Fat Milk
How do you make lemon zucchini cake
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a large mixing bowl mix together the sugar and lemon zest, really whisk the lemon zest into the sugar.
Rubbing the zest into the sugar, either handheld like this recipe calls for or in my lemon pound cake I mix the zest with the butter and sugar, the process helps the natural oils and flavor of the zest meld into the sugar.
Add the vegetable oil next whisking to combine. You could also use another neutral oil like canola or grapeseed.
Add the eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
Add the shredded zucchini and lemon juice.
Gently fold in the dry ingredients mixture, just until no flour streaks remain. You do not want to overmix the cake batter as you could create a tough cake.
Pour the zucchini cake batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for approximately 43-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with no wet batter.
Everyone's oven is different so I urge you to pay close attention as your cake may cook faster or longer.
Let the cake cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before inverting to cool completely. Once you have inverted the cake to cool you can start making the glaze.
In a small bowl mix together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Add more powdered sugar if you want a thicker frosting or more lemon juice if you want a thinner frosting. Drizzle on top of cooled cake.
I like to let the glaze set, you can hurry this up by placing the cake in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. To slice the cake I use a serrated knife for the cleanest slices.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container.
Can you freeze Lemon Zucchini Cake
Yes, but I would freeze it without the lemon glaze. The cake itself freezes beautifully but the glaze will not.
How long does the cake last
This easy loaf cake recipe will last 3-4 days at room temperature. Of course, if you live in a warm environment as I do I often store treats in the fridge as even after 2 days the warmth can start to encourage the bread to go off quicker.
Craving more lemon recipes 🍋
- Lemon Bars this step-by-step tutorial helps you make the best lemon bars you've ever had!
- Lemon Curd this recipe is perfect with so many things, you will never buy the jarred version again!
- Raspberry Swirled Lemon Cheesecake I cannot tell you how many times I have made this cheesecake, it is a family favorite!!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
Lemon Zucchini Cake
- 188 grams (1 ½ Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 4oz (½ Cup) Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablesoon +1 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Lemon Zest ( I use this microplane zester)
- 2oz (4 Tablespoons) Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ cups Shredded Zucchni, Packed tighlty into the cup
- 124 grams (1 Cup) Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Grated Lemon Zest
- 1oz (2 Tablespoons) Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 0.5oz (1 Tablespoon) Heavy Cream or Full Fat Milk
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar and lemon zest, really whisk the lemon zest into the sugar, this helps the natural oils and flavor of the zest meld into the sugar. Add the vegetable oil next whisking to combine. Add the eggs and mix until fully incorporated. Add the shredded zucchini and lemon juice. Gently fold in the flour mixture, just until no flour streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 43-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with no wet batter. Let it cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before inverting to cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Add more powdered sugar if you want a thicker frosting or more lemon juice if you want a thinner frosting. Spread on top of cooled cake. Store leftovers. in an air-tight container.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini recipes, lemon cake, lemon loaf