Perfectly zingy and sweet this lemon pound cake recipe is the perfect sweet treat, made with 9 simple ingredients. Step-by-step photos help you make this gorgeous lemon cake!
This lemon pound cake is reminiscent of a lemon cake my mom would make growing up. Simplicity at its finest.
The lemon flavor shines through with loads of zest and fresh lemon juice. The cake is baked then drizzled with a lemon juice and sugar mixture that soaks in.
I chose not to add a lemon glaze/ frosting as I thought it was overkill. This cake is classic and simple, perfect for an afternoon treat with a cup of tea.
Let's get to the recipe.
What are the ingredients?
- All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter, at room temperature, this is imperative make sure your butter is softened to room temperature
- Granulated Sugar
- Freshly Grated Lemon Zest- this is the microplane zester I use
- Large Eggs, at room temperature
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Sour Cream
Another lemon flavored pound cake is this 7up Pound Cake.
How do you make a pound cake?
Start by preheating your oven to 350F/180C and greasing a 9X5 loaf pan. These two steps are crucial to success. Without a properly heated oven, your recipe will not rise, and without a greased pan the bread will not come out of the pan!
In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld electric mixer combine the butter, sugar, and lemon zest for 4-5 minutes.
I like to add the lemon zest at this stage to let the oils from the zest infuse into the mixture for a stronger lemon flavor.
The butter-sugar mixture should be nice and fluffy.
Add in the eggs one at a time, fully mixing after each addition. The butter cannot take all of the eggs at once so please do not rush this process.
The mixture may look curdled after all the eggs have been combined.
In a small bowl mix sour cream and lemon juice. I sometimes use 5% Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream.
Add the sour cream mixture to butter mixture, mixing to combine.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Fold in the dry mixture.
Do not over mix the pound cake batter.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan and use an offset spatula to spread it into an even layer.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. As soon as the cake is baked make the lemon soak.
In a small pot combine the lemon juice and granulated sugar and cook for 5 minutes, constantly whisking.
Pour the lemon soak over the just-baked cake and let cool in the pan for at least 2 hours, so the lemon glaze has plenty of time to soak in.
After two hours you can invert the cake on to a serving platter out of the pan. Letting the cake sit in the pan for two hours is important for the lemon soak to really soak in!
Store lemon pound cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How long does this cake last?
This lemon cake will last a few days at room temperature. Make sure you store it in an air-tight container after it has cooled completely.
Can you freeze pound cake?
You can make the full lemon pound cake recipe, let the cake cool completely then tightly wrap in plastic wrap then a layer of foil. This double wrap helps the freezer burn stay away.
When ready to thaw let the cake sit at room temperature overnight.
Want to try some more lemon recipes?
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
Lemon Pound Cake
- 188 grams (1 ½ Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 8oz (1 Cup) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Lemon Zest (This is the zester I use)
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1.5oz (3 Tablespoons) Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4oz (½ Cup) Sour Cream
- 50 grams (¼ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2oz (4 Tablespoons) Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer combine the butter, sugar, and lemon zest for 4-5 minutes, so it's nice and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time.
- In a small bowl mix sour cream and lemon juice. Add the sour cream mixture to butter mixture, mixing to combine. The whole mixture will look curdled which is just fine. Fold in the dry mixture.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. As soon as the cake is baked make the glaze.
- In a small pot over low-medium heat combine lemon juice and granulated sugar for 5 minutes, constantly whisking. Pour over just baked cake and let cool in the pan for at least 2 hours, so the lemon glaze has plenty of time to soak in. Store lemon pound cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon cake, lemon bread, pound cake