Deliciously moist this cream cheese banana bread is full of bananas and a luscious swirl of cream cheese for an extra surprise treat! This easy quick bread recipe will be your new favorite snack!
If you've visited my site before you most likely know that I love banana bread and happen to have numerous recipes on here. There is something so perfect about this easy quick bread. It's the perfect not too cheeky breakfast, great afternoon snack, and delicious midnight treat. Any type of food that I can enjoy throughout the day is a winner for me.
What makes this banana bread special? Besides the fact that the banana bread is made with sour cream or Greek yogurt to really lock in the moisture, this bread has a cream cheese swirl.
I recently made my cream cheese swirled pumpkin bread because I am so ready for pumpkin season. But I thought to myself why don't I have a banana bread version. So here we are today.
Let's get to the recipe.
For the banana bread you only need your usual culprits:
- Unsalted Melted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Large Eggs, at room temp.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- Baking Soda
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Very Ripe Bananas (measured without peel)
For the cream cheese filling, you'll need a few things but not many! 🙂
- Cream Cheese- it is imperative that it is softened to room temp.
- Granulated Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour- this flour helps thicken it up to create that nice thick swirl
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Large Egg- room temperature eggs will easily combine with the remaining ingredients
First things first, make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. It is crucial to create a smooth cream cheese filling.
When you're ready, preheat your oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
In another clean bowl whisk together the melted butter and sugars until fully combined. Next, add the eggs and pure vanilla extract, whisking until the mixture is fully combined.
Next comes the mashed bananas and sour cream or Greek yogurt.
The last step for the quick bread batter is to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix or you will end up with a loaf of tough banana bread.
See, just until the flour steaks are gone!
To make the cream cheese filling in a medium bowl whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined and totally smooth.
Once fully combined, whisk in the egg until fully combined.
You want a smooth batter.
Pour ½ of the banana bread batter into the prepared pan, use an offset spatula to create an even layer, then pour the cream cheese filling into an even layer, then finally the remainder of the banana bread batter. Be careful to fully cover the cream cheese mixture.
Bake for 55-65 minutes or until when you insert a toothpick in the center of the bread it comes out clean with no wet batter.
Let the bread cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan before inverting on to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Can you make ahead of time
Yes, you can easily make cream cheese banana bread ahead of time. I like to store mine in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
I hope you love this cream cheese filled banana bread as much as my family and friends do!
More cream cheese recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Recipe
- Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- Gingerbread brownies with cream cheese frosting
- Cream Cheese Cookies
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 4oz (1/ 2 Cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 250 grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 6oz (¾ Cup) Sour Cream/ Greek Yogurt
- 12oz (3 Medium) Very Ripe Bananas (measured without peel)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temp.
- 50 grams (¼ Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg, at room emp.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter and sugars. Then add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add bananas and use a potato masher to mash them. Mix in sour cream or Greek yogurt. Gently fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour ⅔rds of the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla extract. Once fully combined, whisk in the egg until fully combined. Pour on top of the banana bread layer, spreading cream cheese into an even layer.
- Using a spoon and spatula place the remaining banana bread batter on top trying to cover the cream cheese layer completely and evenly. Bake for approximately 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with no wet batter. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before inverting to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Braekfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana bread, cream cheese recipe, snack recipe