These easy and chewy cookies are filled with Christmas color M&Ms. Step-by-step photos teach you how to bake this scrumptious M&M Christmas cookie recipe!
During the Christmas season it's not right if you don't eat copious amounts of cookies! We like to make my amaretti cookies, Scottish shortbread, and Mexican wedding cookies, and then for a more traditional American style cookie these Christmas M&M cookies are perfect! Plus the red and green M&Ms give a great festive flare to the cookie plates!
Because this dough needs to chill for a little bit they are the perfect cookies to prepare the dough a couple of days ahead of time! Then bake right before your holiday party!
This recipe is based on my white chocolate chip cookies recipe!
For this recipe you will need:
- Butter. I use salted but feel free to use unsalted. Your butter needs to be at room temperature to properly cream with the sugars.
- Sugars. You'll use both granulated white sugar and light brown sugar. This helps give you a cookie that spreads but also has great chew!
- Large Eggs. Your eggs should be at room temperature so that they easily incorporate into the sugar and butter.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. The vanilla gives you that classic cookie flavor. Don't use imitation vanilla!
- All-Purpose Flour. I highly suggest weighing our ingredients, too much or too little flour can drastically alter your cookie dough! If you must use measuring cups then use a spoon to add the flour to the cup and use the back of a knife to scrape the top to level.
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
- Chemical Leavening Agents. I like to use a combination of both baking soda and baking powder to create the best rise on the cookies and crinkly tops.
- Salt. Don't skip this, salt enhances all the other ingredients flavor profiles.
- Cornstarch. Also known as cornflour this softens the cookies.
- Christmas Colored M&M's. The star of the show. I love to use one whole bag for inside the cookies and then use more to decorate the tops of the cookies. Don't miss my M&M Brownies.
I don't include chocolate chips in these cookies but you could swap in some chips!
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer combine butter and sugars.
Mix on medium speed for around 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Stir in vanilla and the first egg, making sure to mix until fully combined. Then add the final egg, again mixing until fully combined.
Gently fold in dry ingredients.
Gently fold in the M&MS then scoop 1.5 tablespoon size cookies and place on a tray covered and let them chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. I like to press red and green m&ms on top of the cookie dough balls to make them extra pretty.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C and if using, line your baking sheet with a Silpat liner. Place the cookie dough balls two inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
I like to take a large round cookie cutter and swirl it around the warm cookies to encourage them to be more circular. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Check out this post on my Cookie Baking Tips
How to freeze
I LOVE to have cookie dough in my freezer or make it and store it in my fridge a few days before I am baking them for a party or event.
To freeze the cookie dough balls scoop them and place them on a freezer-safe tray to flash freeze for a few hours. Then transfer to a freezer-safe container to freeze for up to three months.
If the cookie dough balls are frozen just place them on the tray and bake for an additional minute or two, it may help to bang the baking tray on the ground about 2 minutes before the cookies are done baking, this just encourages spreading. Be careful as the tray will be hot!
If the cookie dough balls are in the fridge for more than two hours I would let the balls sit out at room temperature for 20-30 minutes to warm up a bit so they aren't so chilled- but again you can bang the baking tray on the ground (be careful) to encourage spreading.
You can also freeze-baked cookies. Let them cool completely then transfer to a freezer-safe container for up to three months. To thaw place cookies on the counter at room temperature for an hour or two to thaw.
Can you double
You can most certainly double this recipe- just make sure your mixing bowl can hold all of the dough. On the recipe card below you can press the 2X button to double the ingredient quantities.
More Christmas cookie ideas
These cream cheese cookies are melt-in-your-mouth soft!!
Andes Chocolate Chip Cookies are a minty dream!
For another candy cookie you gotta try my Butterfinger Slice and Bake Cookies dipped in chocolate!
My friend Ari makes the best Italian Rainbow Cookies!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 375 grams (3 Cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 8oz (1 Cup) Unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated sugar
- 200 grams (1 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1- 10oz Bag Christmas Colored M&M's
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine butter and sugars. Mix on medium for around 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and the first egg, making sure to mix until fully combined. Then add the final egg, again mixing until fully combined.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the M&MS then scoop 1.5 tablespoon size cookies and place on a tray covered and let them chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and if using, line your baking sheet with a silpat liner. Place the cookie dough balls two inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Chill Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 13 Minutes
- Category: Desert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy christmas cookies, christmas m&M cookies, red and green m&m cookies