Maple cream cheese frosting takes any dessert to the next level. Made with maple extract this recipe is easy and delicious! Step-by-step photos teach you how to make this delicious frosting recipe.
Growing up a maple bar was my favorite donut. There was something so subtle yet breathtaking of the maple flavor profile. As I've continued to grow my baking recipe repertoire I find myself leaning towards maple more and more.
My apple maple muffins are a favorite!
Cream cheese frosting goes so well with fall-spiced recipes and so does maple so it was only a matter of time until I combined the two glorious flavors. Creamy maple? Sign me up!
Let's get to the recipe
For this frosting recipe you will need:
- Cream Cheese. I cannot stress enough how imperative it is that your cream cheese is completely softened at room temperature. To do this quickly you can place the foil-wrapped cream cheese brick in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes. Be careful that you don't leave it for too long, you don't want soupy cream cheese!
- Butter. Your butter needs to also be softened to room temperature to properly blend with the cream cheese. Since you are using a much smaller amount I find chopping it into small pieces and leaving on the counter then going to softened the cream cheese.
- Maple Extract. The star of the show! You need to use extract not maple syrup to really get a good maple punch. Depending on how much maple you like you can adjust the amount.
- Confectioners Sugar. Also known as powdered sugar or icing sugar this type of sugar clumps very easily so it's crucial to sift it first to remove any sugar lumps.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld mixer beat the cream cheese and butter.
You'll want to mix it for 5 full minutes, until light and fluffy.
Sieve the powdered sugar to prevent any lumps and add half to butter.
Beat for 3 minutes then add the remaining powdered sugar and mix for 3 more minutes.
Add the maple extract to frosting and beat for another 2 minutes.
Spread or pipe frosting. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days, let come to room temperature, and mix before using.
How to freeze
Once the frosting is made cover it and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to use let sit at room temperature to slightly soften then beat the frosting for a couple of minutes.
You can also freeze the frosting by storing it in a freezer safe air-tight container. Let thaw in the fridge overnight then when you are ready to use let sit at room temperature to slightly soften then beat the frosting for a couple of minutes.
Can you double
You can totally double this recipe, just click the 2X button on the recipe card below to update the ingredient quantities. Make sure your bowl is large enough to mix it all!
How to fill a piping bag
I like to place a piping bag in a tall glass and unfold the top of the bag onto the glass to have it hold itself open the fill with the frosting.
Recipes to use this frosting with
My apple bundt cake, minus the caramel drizzle, would go perfectly with this maple cream cheese frosting!
My brown butter pumpkin cake layers would be delicious with this maple frosting!
This chai spice cake would be delightful with this creamy maple frosting!
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 8oz Cream Cheese completely softened at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon-2 Tablespoons Maple Extract
- 360-480 grams (3-4 Cups) Confectioners Sugar/ Icing Sugar*
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a handheld mixer beat the cream cheese and butter for 5 full minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the powdered sugar to prevent any lumps and add half to the butter. Beat for 3 minutes then add the remaining powdered sugar and mix for 3 more minutes. If you want a thicker frosting that holds its shape more when piping add more confectioners sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add the maple extract to the frosting and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Spread or pipe frosting. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days, let come to room temperature and mix before using.
Use up to two more cups of confectioner's sugar for a thicker frosting.
- Prep Time: 13 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: maple cream cheese frosting recipe, cream cheese and maple frosting, maple cream cheese icing