Crushed up Digestive Biscuits make a beautiful crust for this luscious Banoffee Pie. The filling starts with sweetened condensed milk turned into a dulce de leche then topped with lots of fresh banana slices, fresh whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. You will adore this English pie.
Banoffee pie, something my sister and I have a love affair with. Growing up in America with English parents we always had special desserts that none of our friends had heard of. Banoffee pie was one of them. One of my friends was shocked at how delicious it was, which made me publish this recipe back in July 2012. Seven years later and we love banoffee pie just as much.
- 💭Who invented Banoffee pie?
- 💭What is Banoffee pie made of?
- 🥧How do I make a Banoffee pie?
- 🍴Turning condensed milk into caramel
- 📖How do you make a Banoffee pie base
- 📖How do you assemble banoffee pie?
- 💭How do you keep bananas from turning brown in Banoffee pie?
- ⏲️How long can you keep Banoffee pie in the fridge?
- ♨️Can Banoffee pie be frozen?
- 🥧More pie recipes
- Banoffee Pie
- Recipe Ratings & Comments
I have updated the recipe with more precise measurements and update the photos to make it easy to learn how to make banoffee pie.
I hope you make this banoffee pie recipe.
💭Who invented Banoffee pie?
This insanely rich and delicious pie may seem like an American treat but it’s actually English!
💭What is Banoffee pie made of?
Banoffee pie is glorious. 5 simple components make a pie full of flavor and texture.
- Digestive or Graham Cracker Biscuit Crust- I make this a day or two in advance and wrap tightly in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Dulce de Leche – you can make this up to a week in advance.
- Whipped Cream– I make this up to a day in advance.
- Chocolate– I shave the chocolate while the graham cracker crust is cooking and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Sometimes we add other fruit besides bananas- berries or pineapple.
🥧How do I make a Banoffee pie?
This pie is quite simple really, with most of the ingredients being able to be prepped ahead of time banoffee pie is a great dessert for any party.
Start with making the crust. Fill the crust with the dulce de leche, then layer the sliced bananas. Make a medium peak whipped cream to slather on top of the bananas. Finally, sprinkle chocolate curls or pieces on top of the whipped cream.
The pie does need to set up in the fridge for at least 3 hours before slicing.
🍴Turning condensed milk into caramel
You are more than welcome to use store-bought dulce de leche but it’s so easy to make at home so I often do. For this recipe, I use about one and a half cans of sweetened condensed milk (14oz each) then I save the remaining dulce de leche in the fridge for other treats.
Pour your sweetened condensed milk into a shallow dish. Cover the dish lightly with foil then place the dish inside a larger baking pan/ roasting pan. Place in the oven at 350F/ 180C and then pull the rack that the roasting pan is on out so you can easily pour water inside the roasting dish. Just pour enough to go halfway up the sides of the shallow dish.
I do this when the roasting pan is in the oven to reduce the risk of water splashing into the shallow dish.
Let the milk caramelize for around two hours, after about 45 minutes-1 hour I will add more water. The water bath helps create a more balanced warm environment for the milk to evenly carmelize.
The dulce de leche can be made up to a week in advance, once cooled store it in the fridge in an air-tight container.
📖How do you make a Banoffee pie base
Banoffee pie needs a thick biscuit base. The crunch of the biscuit crust is everything. Digestive biscuits are traditionally what is used to make the crust but you can also use Graham Crackers. Whichever biscuit you use make sure they are crushed to a fine crumb.
Then mix in a couple tablespoons of granulated sugar and stir in melted butter. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie dish. I use the bottom of a measuring cup to pack the crumb tightly. Make sure to get up the sides of the pie dish as well.
Bake for around 12-15 mimnutes until lightly browned.
📖How do you assemble banoffee pie?
So you have your biscuit crust baked and cooled, and your dulce de leche is ready to go.
Now I whip my whipped cream, you want medium peaks here so don’t’ whisk it too much. I like to add just a little bit of powdered sugar/icing sugar not too much as the pie is quite sweet on its own.
You also want to make sure your chocolate shavings are ready to go. I like to use a vegetable peeler against the side of a chocolate bar.
To start assembling banoffee pie pour the dulce de leche on top of the crust, gently spread it all over the bottom of the pie.
Next place the sliced banana pieces over the dulce de leche then top with the whipped cream.
Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Chilling/resting the pie helps everything set up together. If you do not let the pie chill you will end up with a sloppy mess.
Store banoffee pie in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To achieve nice clean slices I always recommend using a sharp knife that is run under hot water and wiped clean after every cut.
💭How do you keep bananas from turning brown in Banoffee pie?
Personally, I have never had an issue with my bananas turning brown, probably because I make sure the whipped cream is touching every inch of banana. But if you are hesitant you can always slice the bananas and sprinkle lemon juice on top of them to help prevent browning.
⏲️How long can you keep Banoffee pie in the fridge?
Banoffee pie will stay best for 2-3 days in the fridge, but I have enjoyed a slice or two on day 4 or 5!
♨️Can Banoffee pie be frozen?
I would advise against freezing the pie fully assembled. Each component can be made ahead of time, except slicing the bananas. So I find that time is not an issue with this dessert.
🥧More pie recipes
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
Crushed up Digestive Biscuits make a beautiful crust for this luscious Banoffee Pie. The filling starts with sweetened condensed milk turned into a dulce de leche type cream then topped with lots of fresh banana slices, fresh whipped cream, and chocolate shavings.
Dulce de Leche Filling
- 21oz Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 1/2 14oz Cans) or storebought Dulce de Leche
- 240 Grams (2 Cups/ 9oz) Graham Cracker/Digestive Biscuits crushed into crumbs
- 3oz (6 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Large Bananas
- 16oz (2 Cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar/ Icing Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2–4oz Chocolate for Garnish
Dulce de Leche Filling
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Pour sweetened condensed milk into an ovenproof dish, so that the milk is shallow. Cover lightly with foil. Place that dish in a large roasting pan and place in the oven, fill the roasting pan with water so it goes halfway up the sides. The water bath helps create a more even cooking environment for the dulce de leche.
- Bake for two hours or until you have reached the beautiful caramel color. Let cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge if preparing ahead of time.
- Turn oven on to 350F/180C. In a small bowl mix together the graham cracker crumbs and butter, until well combined. Press into a 9-inch pie dish. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the edges have started to slightly brown. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Whip on medium-high until medium peaks form. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once crust and dulce de leche have cooled pour dulce de leche on top of the crust and place sliced banana slices over the dulce de leche then top with the whipped cream. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Use a vegetable peeler across the sides of a chocolate bar to create chocolate curls and top pie. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
* Total time will be 2 hours longer if you make dulce de leche from sweetened condensed milk
Keywords: banoffee pie recipe, how to make banoffee pie, the best banoffee pie
This post was originally published on July 22, 2012. The photos and recipe have been updated as of 1/29/19