Crushed up Digestive Biscuits make a beautiful crust for this luscious Banoffee Pie. The filling starts with sweetened condensed milk turned into a dulce de leche type cream then topped with lots of fresh banana slices, fresh whipped cream, and chocolate shavings.
Dulce de Leche Filling
- 21oz Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 1/2 14oz Cans) or storebought Dulce de Leche
- 240 Grams (2 Cups/ 9oz) Graham Cracker/Digestive Biscuits crushed into crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 3oz (6 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Large Bananas
- 16oz (2 Cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar/ Icing Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-4oz Chocolate for Garnish
Dulce de Leche Filling
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Pour sweetened condensed milk into an ovenproof dish, so that the milk is shallow. Cover lightly with foil. Place that dish in a large roasting pan and place in the oven, fill the roasting pan with water so it goes halfway up the sides. The water bath helps create a more even cooking environment for the dulce de leche.
- Bake for two hours or until you have reached the beautiful caramel color. Let cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge if preparing ahead of time.
- Turn oven on to 350F/180C. In a small bowl mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter, until well combined. Press into a 9-inch pie dish. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the edges have started to slightly brown. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Whip on medium-high until medium peaks form. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once crust and dulce de leche have cooled pour dulce de leche on top of the crust and place sliced banana slices over the dulce de leche then top with the whipped cream. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Use a vegetable peeler across the sides of a chocolate bar to create chocolate curls and top pie. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
* Total time will be 2 hours longer if you make dulce de leche from sweetened condensed milk
Keywords: banoffee pie recipe, how to make banoffee pie, the best banoffee pie