Bakewell tart is a sweet shortcrust pastry shell filled with a layer of raspberry jam and frangipane and sprinkled with sliced almonds. This traditional British bake is the perfect treat with a cuppa tea!
As I've gotten older I keep falling more and more in love with almond, frangipane flavors. When I was in New York a few months ago I fell in love with an orange frangipane tart, naturally, I made a homemade version so I could enjoy it in the States.
The classic frangipane tart for me growing up with a British family is a Bakewell Tart. You can't beat sweet shortcrust pastry, with a layer of delicious raspberry jam, frangipane filling, and sliced almonds.
I enjoy Bakewell tart as it is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream too!
For another almond recipe try the Almond Roca Recipe, it's' dangerously addicting!
Let's get to the recipe.
🥚What are the ingredients
You'll need a tart shell. I have a step-by-step recipe with photos to help you along the process. The sweet shortcrust pastry dough is fairly easy to make you can use a food processor or you can make it by hand if you want. You can make this ahead of time which is always ideal in my world!
For the filling you'll need:
- Butter. Make sure your butter is softened to room temperature
- Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- Large Eggs. For your eggs to properly incorporate into the rest of the batter they should be at room temperature. You can do this quickly by placing the uncracked eggs in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- Pure Vanilla Extract and Pure Almond Extract
- Almond Flour. Generally, almond flour has had the skins removed before its ground into a flour consistency. Ground almonds would have the skin still.
- All-Purpose/ Plain Flour. The flour helps bind the frangipane filling together and thickens it.
- Raspberry Jam. You could use strawberry jam if you wanted.
- Sliced Almonds
You could add a bit of fresh lemon zest to the batter when you fold in the flour but I grew up without lemon.
You'll need a tart tin with a removable bottom preferably. If you love almonds and raspberry together don't miss my raspberry almond shortbread bars. Or make my almond cake and serve it with fresh raspberries.
Baking is a science and to really achieve the best results I highly recommend investing in a kitchen scale. This OXO Kitchen Scale is the one I use and is also the number one recommended kitchen scale by Cook's Illustrated. Think about it -what one person scoops into a "cup" is completely different from what someone else scoops!
📖How do you make Bakewell tart
Prepare the sweet short crust pastry up until baking. Make sure it's in the fridge to chill before baking. Make sure you preheat your oven to 375F/191C.
You'll want to blind bake the pastry dough. I like to use parchment paper crumbled up to cover the tart or you can spray a piece of foil with non-stick baking spray or grease with butter and gently place on top of the unbaked tart shell in the tart tin. Fill the shortcrust pastry shell with pie weights or fill with baking beans to blind bake it halfway. Bake for 20 minutes.
While the tart crust is baking in a large bowl with a handheld mixer or a bowl of a stand mixer add the softened butter and granulated sugar. Beat on high until very light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between add the vanilla extract and almond extract.
Gently fold in the almond flour and all-purpose flour, mixing until just combined. Set the mixture aside until ready.
When the shortbread crust has baked for 20 minutes take it out of the oven and gently remove foil and pie weights or baking beans.
Add the raspberry jam to the base of the pastry case and use an offset spatula/ palette knife to gently spread the jam into an even layer.
Gently and evenly pour the frangipane filling on top of the jam and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
Bake for another 22 to 26 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the tart cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes for taking out the tin.
Use a sieve to sprinkle powdered sugar/ icing sugar all over. You could use a piping bag filled with a simple confectioner's sugar and water or milk glaze to drizzle on the top if you wanted.
Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream and save leftovers in an airtight container.
⏲️ How long does Bakewell Tart keep for
Bakewell tart lasts for up to 3 days at room temperature.
♨️How to store Bakewell tart
Store Bakewell tart in an air-tight container at room temperature.
🗝Can you freeze homemade Bakewell tart
Yes, you can freeze Bakewell Tart. After the tart has baked and cooled completely wrap it tightly in plastic wrap twice, then freeze.
To thaw place the Bakewell tart on the counter and let thaw overnight at room temperature.
You can also bake a frozen Bakewell tart at 300F/148C for 5 minutes for a slice and 15 for a whole tart.
The tart tastes just as good frozen and thawed as it does fresh. Believe me freezer diving for dessert and finding a wrapped up slice of frangipane tart is pure gold!!
🇬🇧 Craving more British treats
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 1 Recipe Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- 4oz (½ Cup/1 Stick) Butter, at room temperature
- 100 grams (½ Cup) Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Almond Extract
- 125 grams (1 ⅓ Cups) Almond Flour
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 4oz (½ Cup) Raspberry Jam
- 50 grams (½ Cup) Sliced Almonds
- Prepare the sweet shortcrust pastry up until baking. This is the tart pan I use it is 9.5 inch X 1 inch. Cover with parchment paper or a light greased piece of foil and fill with pie weights to blind bake it halfway. Bake at 375F/191C for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking in a large bowl with a handheld mixer or a bowl of a stand mixer add the softened butter and granulated sugar. Beat on high until very light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between add the vanilla extract and almond extract. Gently fold in the almond flour and all-purpose flour, mixing until just combined.
- When the shortbread crust has baked for 20 minutes take it out of the oven and gently remove foil and pie weights. Add the raspberry jam and use an offset spatula to gently spread the jam into an even layer. Gently and evenly pour the frangipane feeling on top of the jam and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for another 22 to 26 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the tart cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes for taking out the tin. Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream and save leftovers in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 46
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: British tart, frangipane, raspberry and almond