Moist Chocolate Cake filled with homemade salted caramel, mini chocolate chips, fresh whipped cream and chocolate ganache. This cake is easy to put together and you can make some of it the day before! This Salted Caramel Chocolate cake is the perfect birthday or party cake!
- 400 grams (2 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 250 grams (2 cups) 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) Dutch-process Cocoa powder (current fave: Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4oz (1/2 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 8oz (1 cup) Whole Milk or Buttermilk, at room temp.
- 8oz(1 cup) Hot Coffee (I put 1 tbsp of instant coffee and pour hot water on top, let sit for 1 minute)
- 8oz (1 Cup) Homemade Recipe or Store Bought
- 6oz (2/3 cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 10oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Whipped Cream & Assembly
- 24oz (3 cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Dry Milk Powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease two 9 inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, vanilla, oil, and milk mix until fully combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated. Add in hot coffee, the mixture will be very thin. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- While the cake is cooking I make the fresh salted caramel. In a thick bottomed heavy saucepan cook the sugar on low-medium heat. Do not mix the sugar but you can swirl the pan around to mix it that way. The sugar will begin to turn to an amber color.
- Watch the sugar carefully as it can burn quite easily. Once it reaches 350F add all of the butter whisking quickly to combine.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in heavy whipping cream, whisk very quickly- the mixture will bubble up but as you whisk will calm down. Once combined mix in salt and let cool.
- Once cool pour into an airtight container i.e. mason jar, plastic container, reused spaghetti sauce jar..etc. Store in the fridge.
- The next day take the cakes out of the freezer and salted caramel out of the fridge In a small saucepan heat heavy cream for 4-6 minutes. In a medium-sized bowl pour in chocolate chips and pour heavy cream on top of the chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes then stir until completely combined. The hot cream will melt the chocolate mix until fully combined and set aside.
Whipped Cream & Assembly
- In a bowl of an electric mixer whisk heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and dry milk powder until stiff peaks form. Set in fridge while preparing the cake.
- Cut each cake layer in half, to create 4 layers. Place one piece on cake plate/serving dish then drizzle 3 tbsp of salted caramel on cake layer and 2 tbsp of ganache then 1/3 of the whipped cream and an extra drizzle of salted caramel, repeat until final cake layer is on top. Place chocolate ganache on top of the final cake layer, let it drizzle down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips and drizzle more salted caramel on top. Store in the fridge.
I make this cake the day before I need it but feel free to make the day of as well.
Keywords: caramel and chocolate cake, salted caramel chocolate cake, chocolate caramel layer cake