Super easy and quick this recipe for how to bake salmon makes a delicious, tender, and buttery moist salmon filet.
If there is one thing I bake all the dang time besides chocolate chip cookies it's this salmon. We make it all the time, at least once a week, if not twice.
I grew up pan frying salmon but I felt like it would stink the house up a bit, not to mention you have to kind of babysit things when they are pan frying. That alone is why I love using the oven, roasting and baking means I can do other things while I am waiting for the food to cook.
Baking salmon provides a buttery, soft, and moist fish, if you're looking for a crispy skin on the salmon this is not for you.
We usually have this salmon on top of a salad or with roasted vegetables. Makes for a quick weeknight dinner.
You'll only need a couple of things.
- Salmon. I like Trader Joe's bbq cut salmon because they are usually thicker fillets, make sure to try and get ones that are similar in size. I also love the salmon from Whole Foods and Sprouts. I've heard great things about the frozen salmon filets at Costco too. Coho Salmon is my all-time favorite, and King Salmon too but they aren't always in season. Sockeye salmon is my least favorite salmon, it's rich in color and has a much stronger flavor, but you do you boo.
- Salt and Pepper. I love the simple salt and pepper combo. I like to freshly grind both.
- Oil. I like to use an oil spray because I find I use much less, I like avocado oil or olive oil.
Some nights when I want to switch it up I will season the salmon with Trader Joe's Onion Salt or Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning.
Sometimes I top the salmon with lemon slices before baking but I tend to prefer just fresh squeezed lemon on top of my baked salmon.
I like to cook my salmon at high heat, I go for 415F/213C. So first thing is to get that oven preheating.
I bake my salmon on a ¼ sheet pan but you could use a full sheet pan, loaf pan, square pan, basically anything you get the jist!
Place the salmon filets skin-side down on a very lightly oiled baking tray. This is why I like to use the spray oils so I don't use tons of oil.
Very lightly spray a tiny bit of the oil on top of the salmon and sprinkle salt and pepper all over the filet. Or whichever seasoning you are using.
Bake for 15-22 minutes depending on the size of your filet, salmon needs to be baked to a minimum internal temperature of 145F/63C. Make sure you insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the salmon.
Another way to tell if the salmon is fully cooked is if the salmon is lighter in color and flakes easily when using a fork.
Take the tray out of the oven and cover with a piece of foil for 5-10 minutes to rest. Serve with desired side dishes. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with roasted salmon
An obvious choice would be roasted veggies since the oven is already on. My roasted carrot recipe is delicious. They may just need to bake a bit longer, while the salmon is resting.
In the photos above I paired the salmon with my corn, cucumber, and tomato salad.
This roasted broccolini recipe from my friend Ari would also be a delicious accompaniment.
I love these salt and vinegar smashed potatoes.
★★★★★ Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!Print
- 2 Salmon Filets (6oz-8oz)
- ¼-½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼-½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 415F/213C.
- Place salmon skin-side down on a very lightly oiled baking tray. Very lightly spray a tiny bit of oil on top of the salmon and sprinkle salt and pepper all over the filet.
- Bake for 15-22 minutes depending on the size of your filet, salmon needs to be baked to a minimum internal temperature of 145F/63C. The salmon will be lighter in color and flake easily when using a fork.
- Take out of the oven and cover with a piece of foil for 5-10 minutes to rest. Serve with desired side dishes. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy baked salmon, best baked salmon recipe in the world, oven baked salmon recipe