WOW. That's all I have to say these cookies are amazing. Brown Butter Snickerdoodles cookies are the best snickerdoodles I have EVER encountered. Brown butter truly does makes everything better. But we already knew that didn't we? Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These cookies are thick, puffy, snickerdoodle-y with caramel nutty hints in the background of the cookie.
Seriously Monique came up with a WINNER with this recipe.
This dough is relatively easy to make you just need to chill it before baking. 3 hours to be exact.
Check out this post on my Cookie Baking Tips
Anytime and every time I make Snickerdoodles this will be the recipe I use. Absolutely fabulous. End of story.Print
Brown Butter Snickerdoodle
- Total Time: 3 hours 35 minutes
- Yield: 30 1x
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt/sour cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat cook the butter. Cook until it reaches a brown/caramely color. The butter will begin to have a nutty aroma. Take off and pour into another bowl to cool.
- Im bowl of an electric mixer combine butter, brown sugar and ½ granulated sugar until mixed together. Add in egg and egg yolk. Add in vanilla and greek yogurt.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- After chilling preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with a silpat liner.
- in a small bowl combine ¼ granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- Scoop dough to 2 tablespoons size and roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. Take them out when they look almost done. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
KitchenAid Stand Mixer 6 QuartBuy Now →
- Prep Time: 15 hours
- Cook Time: 10 hours
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Recipe Source: Ambitious Kitchen
Soft chewy cookies are the best! The brown butter is magic 🙂
Thanks Wendy! I totally agree brown butter is magic!!
Laura Dembowski says
I recently fell in love with brown butter. Snickerdoodles are one of my faves, especially when they are as thick as those! I will have to give these a try!
Thanks for stopping by Laura! I am in love with brown butter as well 🙂
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl says
Brown butter is definitely amazing. I never thought to add it to snickerdoodles, but I am going to have to try this for sure. My husband LOVES snickerdoodles, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind taste-testing! 🙂
Omg all your cookies are so boss. These look like ones that I NEED to try soon!! I LOVE uber thick cookies that manage to be more cookie than cakey and these totally look like they fit the bill! Loving your recipes!
I hate Cakey cookies!! I'm glad you like the look of these- honestly best snickerdoodle ever!! Thanks for stopping by Erika!
I used dark brown sugar in my dough, because frankly, it s awesome and I find that a higher ratio of brown sugar vs. granulated sugar always makes a cookie more chewy and rich with that tiny hint of a caramel flavor. Of course I used an extra egg yolk for richness and added brown butter too! I find that brown butter is sort of a necessity in life; it brings a gorgeous flavor and acts like man-bait. I am serious by the way.