Coffee Cake is a funny thing to me. It's a cake with no coffee? Doesn't really make sense to me. I grew up with English coffee cake which was a cake made with coffee and an icing with coffee. That sounds right to me.
Even though the name doesn't make sense, eating this sure does!
I decided to make American style coffee cake. This recipe is great. The cake is moist and dense but fluffy too. The crumble is amazing. I absolutely love the edges where the crumble is hard and chewy!
Perfect for weekend breakfast, with coffee, or an afternoon snack with a cup of tea!
This recipe has lots of buttery sugary goodness on top.
I could barely control myself from not eating half of this mixture right then. But I controlled myself for the good of the other people who would be eating this later on. How nice am I ? 😉
- 1 stick butter
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9 X 13 pan with non stick cooking spray or butter the pan.
- In a small bowl combine butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Use a fork or your hands to combine the ingredients together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the cream cheese and brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add in vanilla and cinnamon. Combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine butter and sugar, beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet ingredients.
- Stir in sour cream until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture onto of batter and use a knife to swirl the mixture.
- Sprinkle crumble on top of cake and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Recipe adapted from: Go Bold with Butter