- Cut your vanilla bean open in half lengthwise then use the non-sharp side of a knife to scrape out the vanilla beans. In a thick-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat cook the heavy cream, salt, vanilla bean, and actual vanilla bean pod. Stirring constantly, cook until mixture comes to a slight simmer just before a boil. Then take off heat and place lid on and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large roasting pan place 5 (7oz) ramekins inside and put the kettle on to boil and preheat oven to 325F/163C.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or large bowl with a hand held electric whisk beat the sugar and egg yolks until fully combined and much lighter in color, a pale yellow. This will take a couple of minutes.
- Remove vanilla bean pod from the cream mixture and slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture with the whisk attachment on at the lowest speed. Take your time doing this so the eggs do not curdle.
- Once completely mixed pour the mixture evenly into ramekins. Place the pan on the oven rake and pour boiling water from the kettle in the roasting pan, pour enough to come up halfway of the ramekins.
- Bake for 32-42 minutes, you want the center of the creme brulee's to be set but have a little bit jiggle, if you want to use an instant-read thermometer the internal temperature should be 170F/77C. Take out of the oven and place the roasting pan on a wire rack. After five minutes remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and let cool for 1 hour on a wire rack. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- When ready to serve sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each creme brulee swirling the ramekin so the sugar is spread evenly and using a kitchen torch, torch the top of the creme brulee until the sugar has caramelized and hardened. Serve immediately with fresh berries if desired.
- Some have complained of the salt in this recipe, I do not find the creme brulees salty at all but you can omit if you are worried it will affect the flavor.
- You can use smaller ramekins you will just need to reduce the cooking time.
- Prep Time: 15
- Chill Time: 4 Hours
- Cook Time: 42
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: the best creme brulee recipe, how to make creme brulee, easy creme brulee recipe,