- 400 grams (2 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 6oz (1 1/2 sticks/ 3/4 Cup) Unsalted Butter
- 8oz (1 Cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Fleur de Sel (I usually use a bit more but go with your taste)
- In a thick bottomed heavy saucepan cook the sugar on low-medium heat. Using a whisk, whisk the sugar frequently. The sugar will begin to turn to an amber color.
- Watch the sugar carefully as it can burn quite easily. Once it reaches 350F/170C add all of the butter whisking quickly to combine, be careful the mixture will bubble.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in heavy cream, this will take a minute or two just keep mixing to combine.
- Mix in the sea salt and let the caramel cool.
- Once cool pour into an airtight container. A mason jar, plastic container, reused spaghetti sauce jar..etc.
- Store the caramel in the fridge for up to two weeks.
*Occasionally my caramel sauce ends up with a few sugar lumps if so I just place a metal sieve on top of the storage container and pour the caramel in that way to remove the lumps.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salted caramel sauce recipe, sea salt sauce, gooey caramel sauce