Soft and moist coffee flavored cake layers are filled with a layer of apricot jam and topped with gorgeous coffee buttercream and roasted walnuts. This English-style coffee cake is perfect any time of day, not just for afternoon tea!
- 375 Grams (3 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 300 Grams (1 1/2 Cup) Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Unsalted Butter, at room temp.
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Vegetable Oil
- 1.5 Tablespoons Instant coffee (adjust amount to your preference less or more)
- 1oz Hot water (more or less depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor)
- 8oz (1 Cup) Buttermilk, at room temp.
- 1 Batch Coffee Buttercream Recipe
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Apricot Jam/ Preserves
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Roasted Walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350F/ 180C and grease two 8-inch cake pans, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl with a handheld mixer or your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter for 2 minutes, add the oil and mix for an additional minute.
- Add the sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs.
- In a small cup or bowl add the coffee granulates and hot water- stir until coffee granulates have disappeared. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk then repeat with remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until you stick a toothpick in the center and only moist crumbs come out, no wet batter. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before inverting to cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a cake board or serving plate, spread about 4oz (1/2 Cup) of frosting on the cake, making the edges higher to create a frosting dam for the apricot jam. Spread jam within that frosting dam and place remaining cake layer on top bottom face up- this helps create a flat top. Spread frosting on the top layer and decorate with roasted walnuts.
Keywords: coffee cake, english coffee cake, ake